Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing Bootmgr

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vomog1

vomog1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hi all

My old PC has no USB on the Bios and the CD drive is not working. I have "Bootmgr is compressed". Can I put the HDD concerned into another PC running XP and not win 7, and repair the fault with the Win 7 CD ? I also have a seperate enclosure on my XP PC. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

Hi

A " BOOTMGR is compressed " message is usually caused by a combination of the below reasons.

1. There is no hidden 100 MB "System Reserved" partition in the machine. If it exists, Windows will always use it as the "Active" partition and store critical boot file in it. Usually this small partition is only created if you do a clean install of Win 7 - re-partitioning the disk. If the disk is already partitioned in an earlier version of Windows, installer will simply installs the "Bootmgr" to "C:".

2. You compressed "C:" which in turn compressed all files including "Bootmgr". The bootstrap code which is used to start Windows don't have the capability of decompressing  files. As a result the bootstrap code will present you the error message.

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Connect the HDD as a slave drive ( USB enclosure/direct connection ) .

:step2: Identify the drive letter of slave drive's Windows partition. For our example , "E:".

:step3: Open a command prompt and type the below commands one by one.

attrib -s -h e:\bootmgr

compact /u e:\bootmgr

If the above steps shows any error messages, post the exact messages or screenshots with next reply. Also a screenshot of "Disk management" window will be helpful.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

#3 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Before I attempt this Anshad, do I type in the first command and enter. Or type in both commands then enter?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Hi

You should type the first command and press "Enter" key to execute it. Then run the second command. 

#5 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

Hi Anshad

Thanks for prompt reply. Just getting "access denied" at the moment. Could that have something to do with me being administrator?

#6 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

Attached File  S.Shot.jpg   83.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  S.Shot.jpg   83.27KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:30 AM

Hi

If you are doing this from a Vista or "Win 7" machine, you should enter the commands from an elevated command prompt.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

If OS is "Win XP" and you are getting the "Access Denied" message, you should decompress the drive. To do that, deselect the option to compress in drive's properties.

get-more-hard-disk-space-using-ntfs-comp

#8 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

thanks for anshad.just running the disk on XP for error checking. so you say that simply unchecking the compress box will automatically decompress the disk?

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

so you say that simply unchecking the compress box will automatically decompress the disk? 

Yes, in most cases. Decompressing the drive will hopefully decompress all boot critical files. After successfully decompressing, refit the HDD to your laptop and try to boot. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 May 2014 - 08:43 AM.

#10 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Disk is in enclosure. Opened properties and unchecked compress, clicked apply and nothing happens.Yet if I click compress then apply, I get the window with options for compressing f: or all. Its almost as if f: isn't compressed at all.

#11 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Has started to decompress. Will let u know how I get on.

Edited by vomog1, 13 May 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#12 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

Thanks very much Adnash.... Works fine. A lesson learnt about compressing I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users