Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which SD Card..........

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 geologist

geologist

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

..........do I need for my Samsung Galaxy S2 19100??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

Well, I'm think this one will work, unless you don't need that much space, otherwise, I would consider the 8GB, although it's always nice to have extra storage if/when you need it.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

I would consider the 8GB, although it's always nice to have extra storage if/when you need it.

Yes it is.

For a few extra bucks you get the 32GB card.

#4 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Are you saying that there is no fixed storage card and that I can buy the 32GB? Would the following suit?

32GB MicroSDHC Memory Card Class 10 UHS-I Micro Samsung Chips with SD Adapter

Edited by geologist, 12 May 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#5 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hi Geologist,

I've used an 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB all in the SGS2, then moved the 32GB to my SGS4. Depending on the brand and the class some have issues, most do not. I try to stick to name brand ones when they go on sale as they tend to last longer. I've still bumped into issues once in a while but not often. We've had 8 different Android phones over the last 3 years, only one wasn't a Samsung, and only one or two SD card issues. As we buy local on sale we just return if that brand or model has an issue.

I do recall the max for the SGS2 was 32GB but that's sometimes just a current size availability issue rather than a size limitation. Have a look around here for more info and better answers; http://forum.xda-developers.com

Regards,

Zen

#6 sajilv

sajilv

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

go for 16GB. It is always good to have some extra space. Always buy good sd card don't go for cheek ones.

#7 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Sajilv, have decided that I am going for the 16GB so thank you for your input.

Zen Seeker, same message so thank you too for your input. Also, bearing in mind that I am pretty green on this matter, would you, for my sake and the sake of others like me, give me an idea of the 'issues' that I may, or may not, encounter when using SD cards?

#8 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

Sadly I find class and brand can affect read/write speeds. In some cases even detecting the card can be an issue. But as I said, if you get it at a typical store like Walmart, FutureShop or BestBuy you have 30 days to return regardless of the issue. A small computer or mom-and-pop store you're taking a chance. (This isn't due to cheap or fake cards but due to stock and resale policies.)

Just try to format the card and use it. If you see it and it formats without issue it should be fine. SanDisk and  Kingston are what I usually get. A buddy has Kodak but I've never tried it.

Hope it helps and best of luck.

Zen

#9 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Just installed a Sandisk 128GB sd card in my S2; works.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Sandisk 128GB sd

Wow, If all else fails and your laptop has a sd card slot, You can use the sd card as a drive in your PC. Maybe even boot Linux from it.

#11 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:14 AM

Sandisk 128GB sd

Wow, If all else fails and your laptop has a sd card slot, You can use the sd card as a drive in your PC. Maybe even boot Linux from it.

Yes technology is becoming more useful all the time:-

My use of the 128Gb card and other recent kit explained here:_

http://androidforums.com/android-media/854722-128gb-micro-usb-card.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users