Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am in deep Trouble.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

So a few days ago I am sitting at my desk on my NEW Hp Laptop, Just surfing the net and enjoying a glass of coke. When I knock the glass over and all that coke covers the keyboard on the new laptop.

Now a bit of background, I am a diabetic on insulin, And am not allowed to have Coke, And my loving wife enforces that rule with an iron fist.

Back to the story.

In my wisdom I decided not to bother the dragon by telling her about the laptop let alone the Coke. So I knew the laptop was dead I just stuck it back in the hutch on my desk, The plan was to replace it quietly tomorrow, This happened on Friday.  Anyway fast forward to today, My wife is cleaning and notices some liquid on the floor next to my desk and investigates, Guess what she finds, Yup the laptop. I was shocked OMG who would ever do such a thing, I mean I am always telling the wife and kid to never drink near a laptop, I know who did it I say, It must have been your sisters kids 3 years and 5 years old they were here on the weekend.  She agreed and said she would talk to her sister. That is till my ever loving faithfull to her father daughter came home and told her mother how on Friday I had high BSL 19.6 in our scale how the Coke was too sticky for it to have been the kids, How the kids never drink Coke. Anyhow I am not getting a new laptop any time soon, or food, or sex, and I think I am allowed to sleep in the lounge.

Kids who needs em. I almost got away with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:57 AM

...and I would've gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!  (Scooby-Doo reference)

Nick, sorry that Coke went flying and now you're in the dog house...what a heck of a day for you.

Hope things get back to "normal" soon.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

How bad did it hid the laptop? You could always try cleaning it and see if it turns on again (make sure everything has dried before you try turning it on again).

I once spilled a full mug of sweatened tea over my laptop. Turned it off, cleaned it, let everything dry and I only had a few unresponsive keys to deal with at the end of the story. Eventually I replaced the keyboard and used the laptop for another 3 years.. Not all must be lost.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

I am going to take it apart and see whats what luckily it wasnt on battery only power and i yanked the cord out fast.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Update.

Its dead.

Now my darling wife says " Its a pity you only like Linux dear because a work mate is selling a 6 months old Alienware laptop for 800 bucks, It would be such a waste of a powerfull lappy to run Linux on it"

Not funny.

Shes threatening to frame that laptop and hang it in the hallway so everybody that visits can see it. And my loving daughter just walks past shaking her head.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

Haha that's the best idea of framing the dead laptop! A mate of mine spilt coke into my keyboard at LAN party but luckily he was nice enough to replace it with a better one. I've also had a close incident where i was gaming with my lemonade can that was placed next to the mousepad and my hand knocked the can over. Luckily it didn't wet my beloved mousepad and mouse but never again will i place any drinks near the mousepad.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Well, put the shoe on the other foot for a moment.  What if it had been your child that was diabetic, drank the coke by the new computer, spilled it all over the computer, tried to hide it, then try to blame someone else when questioned?  How would you react?

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

There's some really powerful audio and video editing software for linux out there, which would surely find a powerful laptop much preferable to a weak one ;P

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:00 AM

@ killerx525 I love my mouse too. http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-au/p/arc-touch-mouse. Never again.

@Orange Blossom Yes I know, It was childish of me.

@myrti Yes there is, I love my Linux. We only use Linux in my house.

I just got the lappy booted it, And for about 30 seconds considered keeping Windows,  Then it booted ( god is win8 that ugly no wonder people hate it)and my mind was made up. I inserted my Kubuntu 14 Disk and rebooted. Oh my what am I ever going to do with all that ram and the grafix, dayum, Ok who wants a boot pc and launch Firefox competition, With Kubuntu on it this thing is every bit as fast as my puppy linux.

Edited by NickAu1, 02 June 2014 - 03:00 AM.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

Wow, for $800 you got a top end AMD mobile and a awesome 17inch screen for that price. A very very nice catch mate, but at the moment i'm stuck with my outdated graphics card on the macbook which is just able to play my game on the lowest settings and resolution. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,732 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

The person I got it from is also my wifes friend and work mate, she won it and had no use for it( and buying it from a cop you know its not hot), So she let me have it for 800,  I have done heaps of work for her  after her place got flooded, Shes single and good looking guys, She also has a police uniform and handcuffs :police: , I did offer her 1500 for it but she said no.

Seriously. This Lappy is wasted on Kubuntu so its time for more eye candy  Lot's more eye candy, and Games'

Working on this next.

Add Live Wallpaper to The Ubuntu Desktop

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/live-wallpaper-for-ubuntu

Im gonna try and load this sucker up with every bit of Eye candy I can, I am going to try and get it to look as close as I can to one of those geeky looking PC's you see on TV.

NO I am not putting Windows on it.

Edited by NickAu1, 02 June 2014 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users