Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

repairing patially erased partition.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:19 AM

Hi all... I was doing some data recovery today from a file system damaged hard drive to a Mint machine. After I recovered the files to the Mint system I went to erase the old drive but had people distracting me and started to erase the disk with the Mint installation on it, I stopped it fairly quickly but there was some small data loss. I attempted to reboot it but the system sees "no system disk". I assume this is because the MBR has been deleted and possibly even the file system table. I know the data I need to recover will still be on the disk... But what is the best way to recover it?

• re-write the mbr and try to reset the partition to ext4 (if it is still visible), then copy using a live disk
  • is there some way to repair the installation?
  • remove the drive and use a 3rd party tool in another system.
  • some other way I haven't thought of?

Appreciate any advice... thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

Try Gparted. You may be able to recover the files. Gparted/Devices/Attempt data Rescue.

What No backups? :oopsign:

Edited by NickAu1, 12 May 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

Yeah, I used GParted to recover the files the first time, before I started erasing both disks... lol

Any known way to repair the Mint installation? That'd be ideal.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,822 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:43 AM

You could try and install grub 4 dos  boot loader. You could try chroot reparing the instalation from Live Disc.

Your HDD the not deleted bit has gone ( in windows speak) RAW. In Gparted it should show as Unallocated.

Edited by NickAu1, 12 May 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:24 AM

I didn't know you could use a live disk as a "windowsesque" type repair. I'll try that after I've recovered the data. Thanks.

#6 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

I have had very good experience with testdisk.. It can recover and repair broken  (or deleted, not that I would ever accidentally do that. Not me. No! :rolleyes:) partitiontables, but it can also recover data from lost or broken partitions itself.  Start it, select the PC type and the drive to scan and let it do a deep scan. It'll likely find all the partitions that used to be on the machine (including possibly some old ones yo haven't used in a while). You will need to choose the ones that should be there (by size and type of partition) and set the right partition to bootable. I can help you with that once you have that information.

If you suspect that the mint install is still mostly good but for one reason or another you can't repair it, what you can do is chroot into the broken install and get a list of installed packages somewhat like this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/215424/how-to-obtain-a-list-of-installed-packages-based-on-a-backup

Then you copy your home directory over as well (or if you've set it up as a separate partition, don't touch it, just back it up). Reinstall mint and then use the list of packages to reinstall all the packages you'd previously installed.  You'll end up with a fresh install pretty much configured as your previous install in no time :)

EDIT: The chroot part is best done from a live-cd like the Mint CD with which you installd the OS initially.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,822 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

not that I would ever accidentally do that. Not me. No!

Ha Ha.

Can you say " back ups are important"

Because TsVk! is a Malware Study Hall Junior I think his punishment for not having backups should be a 500 word paper on "Why backups are important" . What do you think myrti  Malware Study Hall Admin LOL.

Edited by NickAu1, 12 May 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thanks myrti... I tried TestDisk last night as well as GParted. I've got quite a bit of experience using both. I was able to find the partition I needed and write it to the correct type. When I went to retrieve files though it told me the file table is damaged, ho hum. GParted was also unable to determine the partition type or retrieve any info after a deep scan.

Time to try the live disk now...

Fortunately I do have a backup that has most of the data, but the version is older and some recent projects are missing and some of my file structuring is not in place...

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

None of these options are working... only TestDisk is seeing the partition as a Linux partition. Nothing else can detect it. I've messed around with a range of recovery tools and options now.

Looks like it's time for the old data shredder.

(gonna try the superblock fix first though)

Edited by TsVk!, 12 May 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

Many many 100's of hours of creative work lost... one silly little mistake, after recovering the files and actually having 2 copies of them.

feels bad :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users