Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are all these hidden network adapters?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:02 AM

I went to device manager and did show hidden devices. Then I see a whole bunch of network adapters. What are they? Are they extra things that I don't need that cause privacy or security issues?

isatap.{BUNCHOF-NUMBERS-ANDLETTERS-ETC...}

RAS Async Adapter

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

WAN Miniport (IP)

WAN Miniport (IPv6)

WAN Miniport (L2TP)

WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)

WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

WAN Miniport (PPTP)

WAN Miniport (SSTP)

Edited by bludshot, 12 May 2014 - 01:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

Hi

They are all virtual adapters installed by Windows. These are necessary for some network operations so i would recommend leaving them untouched.

#3 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

I'm trying to read up and understand this Teredo tunneling thing.

Does it route my traffic through some microsoft, or other 3rd party server, such that microsoft (or the 3rd party) gets to log every thing I do online?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

Does it route my traffic through some microsoft, or other 3rd party server, such that microsoft (or the 3rd party) gets to log every thing I do online?

From my understanding, "Teredo" interface is related to "IPv6" and most programs ( as of today ) don't use it. A known program which uses "Teredo" is "utorrent" for bandwidth gain.

Technical details about "Teredo" is covered in this Technet article :  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/cc917486.aspx

Teredo is a NAT traversal technology for IPv6 traffic. IPv6 traffic tunneled using Teredo can cross one or multiple NATs and allow a Teredo client to access the hosts on the IPv6 Internet (through a Teredo relay) and other Teredo clients on the IPv4 Internet.

Honestly speaking, i am not knowledgeable enough to understand the underlying working of "TCP/IP" protocol.  

From the security point of view, nobody knows whether a Windows machine contain a backdoor which allows Microsoft to access your PC ( we don't know the source code ). 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 May 2014 - 02:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users