Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons issue.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 triplem1075

triplem1075

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:01 AM

This isn't a biggie, but it is something I would like to resolve.

I'm running Windows XP home edition.
Version 2002

SP3

etc...

Recently I booted up the computer and noticed my icon for .AVI files had changed to something else. It was still set to play through VLC player, only the ICO file changed. I went to change it, because I figured maybe someone changed it manually, but the original icon is no longer there, not to mention it would not let me change the VLC players icon at all, I had to switch to a new default program to do so, but changing back to VLC resulted in still not being able to change the icon.

I thought, no biggie, so I have to get used to a new icon.

Now I have discovered my .Gif icon had gone too... using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as the default program. It too will not let me change the icon of it... so I used the Default Programs Editor to change the .Gif files icon... it works, however, it's also attached the same icon to .FLV, .AVI, .m4a files and probably more media files.

What did I do? and how can I fix this so each file extension has it's own icon for it, and not sharing the same icons?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

First thing that comes to my mind is System Restore.  Have you tried restoring to a time before the problem began?

Sounds like something you picked up from a program installation or somewhere else changed your default player.  If the icon isn't another player, I'm not sure what the problem would be other than something messing with your file associations somehow (maybe a cleaner program?).  Maybe System Restore will resolve the problem...

Edited by UpgradeMe, 12 May 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#3 triplem1075

triplem1075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

I just tried a system restore... it hasn't helped the issue at all :(

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

Have the icons gone generic, but still have the file association? In other words, when you click to run the media does the program you want to run the media do so?

#5 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

I guess the next thing I would do is run chkdsk:

My computer->right click on main drive (C usually)->select Properties->Tools->Error Checking (Check Now)->place a check mark in both boxes and click Start.  Restart the PC to run the chkdsk...

#6 triplem1075

triplem1075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

Have the icons gone generic, but still have the file association? In other words, when you click to run the media does the program you want to run the media do so?

Yes, the files are still running in the programs they should be opening with.

I guess the next thing I would do is run chkdsk:

My computer->right click on main drive (C usually)->select Properties->Tools->Error Checking (Check Now)->place a check mark in both boxes and click Start.  Restart the PC to run the chkdsk...

I've now done that. Still hasn't fixed anything :(

#7 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:36 AM

Sometimes it's necessary to rebuild the Icons Cache.  Microsoft Support has a "Fix It" tool available that you might try.  There are also instructions to do a manual repair but I can't advise using that as it requires making changes in the Registry.  If you decide to go that route, please carefully read the instructions before making any changes.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#8 triplem1075

triplem1075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

I ran the program. It fixed a few issues I didn't know about, however it can't fix the cache issue :(

Issues found Not fixed
Rebuild the icon cache
Failed
Issues checked Checked
Issues found Detection details
Icons randomly change to different icons Not fixed
Some icons in My Computer, in Windows Explorer, on the desktop, or on the Quick Launch bar change randomly. This behavior occurs if the icon cache is not updated correctly.

I don't particularly want to attempt it manually. Unless someone can suggest anything else, I might just ask a friend who knows alot about repairs to have a look at it for me.

#9 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

Here's another icon rebuild tool ... http://www.pcworld.com/article/258597/windows_icons_suddenly_looking_generic_heres_the_fix.html .

#10 triplem1075

triplem1075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

Unfortunately that programs is for Windows 7. I'm running XP.

Edited by triplem1075, 16 May 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#11 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

I apologize for the wrong link. Here is the one I should have sent ... http://www.geekzsupport.com/rebuild-icon-cache-windows-8-7-vista-xp/ .

#12 triplem1075

triplem1075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

I apologize for the wrong link. Here is the one I should have sent ... http://www.geekzsupport.com/rebuild-icon-cache-windows-8-7-vista-xp/ .

Nope, hasn't worked :( I think my computer just hates me.

#13 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

Well, you could try it the hard way... uninstalling and reinstalling VLC player and other apps that you use.

And you might try r-clicking on a generic icon and selecting "open with..", then browse for the app you want to open it with. You'll also get a check box that, if checked, will "always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

#14 triplem1075

triplem1075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

I've already tried those methods. Didn't help either i'm afraid.

#15 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:27 AM

Are you running skins on the VLC player?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users