Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 computers ruined after reinstalling using cd

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Assistanceneeded

Assistanceneeded

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

Since XP was considered risky and my old laptop became much too slow I added Ubuntu to my desktop and used that. However due to my desktop having so little RAM Ubuntu was slow too so went back to using XP Yesterday I got great problems using XP so I reinstalled it using the cd. Some essential parts were missing so I was unable to use any browser in XP and had to go back to Ubuntu. I found it too difficult so I decided to try XP using a USB. That was a fatal mistake. I can now neither use my old laptop nor my old desktop so I am writing this from a friend's computer. What I would like to know is this. Can I download XP from the internet to my USB and then install it in my desktop so that I shall be able to use it to access the internet again? Or is Vista possible and a better choice? Thank you for helping.

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2014 - 05:58 AM.
Moved from XP to Linux O/S - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

If you want help with selecting the right Linux distro for your PC please start a new thread here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/  and give us your PC specs.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 May 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:41 AM

How much RAM do you have? That will assist us in helping you to secect a Linux OS that's right for you. Normally when system resourses are low, Xcfe OS's are used, as it can run better.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Assistanceneeded

Assistanceneeded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

My Compaq Presario R3000 and Compaq Evo D510 both have 256 MB of RAM. Here I am only concerned with Windows XP. If I can get it to work I shall not need Ubuntu and I would prefer to use Windows as I know how to use it and it took me more time with Ubuntu as I am very unfamiliar with it.

#5 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

AssistanceNeeded...

I have a Compaq evo 510 that originally had 128 MB of RAM (runs XP SP3).  Interestingly it will actually hold 3 x 1 gig sticks (3 GB).  I added a 1 gig stick to the PC (1.128 GB total now) a few years ago, and it's been much better.  I've always wanted to max that little thing at 3 GB and see what it can do.  It's only a 1.5 GHz processor in this one.

For those little machines, you should be able to find some inexpensive RAM.  If you can find room in your budget I totally recommend adding the RAM, unless you are considering getting a new one (or two) to replace those.  With the RAM you should be able to run with XP.

Oh one other thing.  It would be best if you have at least a 40 GB hard drive for XP.  If you have one of those 20 GB drives, the best I can say is don't add alot of programs and files.  XP will take up about 10-12 GB maxed out with all the updates.  I would be careful to keep everything below 15-16 GB in that situation, so that system restore and virtual memory function as designed (also defrag has trouble with disks crammed with data)...

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

My Compaq Presario R3000 and Compaq Evo D510 both have 256 MB of RAM. Here I am only concerned with Windows XP. If I can get it to work I shall not need Ubuntu and I would prefer to use Windows as I know how to use it and it took me more time with Ubuntu as I am very unfamiliar with it.

Then you need to create a thread in the XP section of the forum. That is, if your statement is as I understand, you wish to return to XP.

At 256MB RAM, I highly urge to to upgrade to more for the best possible experience. Your security (AV) would use nearly that much memory alone. I just don't know of any security apps of today that can run XP, a browser & security w/out tapping out of RAM.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

Since XP was considered risky and my old laptop became much too slow I added Ubuntu to my desktop and used that. However due to my desktop having so little RAM Ubuntu was slow too so went back to using XP Yesterday I got great problems using XP so I reinstalled it using the cd. Some essential parts were missing so I was unable to use any browser in XP and had to go back to Ubuntu. I found it too difficult so I decided to try XP using a USB. That was a fatal mistake. I can now neither use my old laptop nor my old desktop so I am writing this from a friend's computer. What I would like to know is this. Can I download XP from the internet to my USB and then install it in my desktop so that I shall be able to use it to access the internet again? Or is Vista possible and a better choice? Thank you for helping.

mX14 is cd size and fast. Give it a try

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

Wow, 256 MB of RAM.  That's too little to much of anything besides running DOS which nobody has done for close to 20 years.  If you have 1 to 2 GB, you can run Linux without much of a problem.  You should have at least 1 GB to run XP if you really want to, but since it's unsupported, it's going to become increasingly risky, so I wouldn't recommend it.  If you don't like Ubuntu, try Mint - it comes closer to the look and feel of Windows.  Oh yes, I'd format that hard drive before attempting to install anything.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,671 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

256 MB of RAM.

I guess Puppy Linux would run on that  with a  swap partition, It would be slower than a normal Puppy.

All about Linux swap space

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8208-all-about-linux-swap-space

With 1 tab open in firefox and what you see on the screen I use 360 odd meg of ram.

dotg92.png

Without Firefox running I only use 90 megs of ram.

2d15oqa.png

I could save another 20 to 30 megs getting rid of everything on my screen.

Edited by NickAu1, 04 June 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

mX14 is cd size and fast. Give it a try

This!

If you have no plans of adding more RAM, then it's MX-14 or a version of Puppy. I've tried both & MX-14 (some sites states mX-14), the latter wins hands down. Still I believe for a best possible experience, look on eBay for more RAM. It's likely that two 512MB sticks for a total of 1GB will give a much needed power boost, w/out breaking the bank. Some are literally giving it away, after shipping cost, not much is made on used, but still good working RAM. PayPal & eBay has your back covered for 45 days on DOA or not as described purchases, have had to use their protection on two occaisions.

Cat

#11 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:33 AM

I'd say that even with the added ram run mx14.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#12 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

most of the programs used with mx14 are not standard. it uses xfce and libre office and (I think) synaptic. I never heard of the browser before nor the email client. If you really need something you can download it.

Edited by bmike1, 05 June 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,671 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

If you want a Light linux. Try this.

Kwort

Kwort is a slackware-based operating system featuring the Xfce4 desktop with Kwort's own Network Manager and kpkg package manager. Its minimum requirements are:

• CPU: PC i686 or above.
  • RAM: 16MB for base system (minimum). 32MB for desktop (minimum), 64MB recommended.
  • Hard drive space: 200MB for base system, 1.5GB for full desktop (Openoffice 2.0 included)

Image is From Internet NOT my work.
2ahxrg0.jpg

#14 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

I just found this out.... mX14 is meant for mid-sized computers. if mX14 doesn't work give AntiX a spin. mX14  is a corroboration of the development team of Mepis and AntiXAntiX is made for low-end computers.

Edited by bmike1, 05 June 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

I just found this out.... mX14 is meant for mid-sized computers. if mX14 doesn't work give AntiX a spin. mX14  is a corroboration of the development team of Mepis and AntiXAntiX is made for low-end computers.

mX-14 runs fine on my low end, by today's standards, T42 Thinkpad & screams on the mid-level Toshiba, at least in Live Mode.

Though I did read where it was stated mX-14 is for mid-range hardware, after running it, I have reason to believe that it'll run fine on less than mid-level systems.

As to the browser, it's a customized Firefox, as it's also free open source software (FOSS). Though I've used these, I really don't care for email clients, maybe if I ran a business or a website, it would be a necessity, but for no more than what I do, grab mine through the browser. The problem with email clients, is that none of them works with all possible email accounts, in particular, the free ones. That's why I don't bother. If I were to run across one that could get them all in one package, would consider it. There's GMail, Outlook/Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, FastMail (formerly OperaMail), Mail.com. EarthLink Web Mail & dozens of others. The ones that I named are the ones that I have & am using for varying purposes.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users