Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop HDDs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

I don't work much with laptops, so not quite sure much about HDDs for them.

I'm working on my younger sister's laptop (alcoholic brother spilled whiskey all over it) and not sure but it might be dead machine now.

The laptop is a Dell XPS M1330. It has Intel Core 2 Duo (T6400?) CPU, 3GB DDR2 (1x 2GB + 1x 1GB DDR2-800) and runs Windows Vista x86.

Just wondering about accessing the HDD to save any data from it.. that is if the whole machine is fried. The HDD is a SATA type drive. Could I just simply plug it into my desktop machine to make sure it's still working and allow my sister to access her data?

This is the HDD that came in the laptop.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MK3255GSX-NDW-R

My desktop is based on a s478 P4 Intel D865GLC mobo. It's got 2 SATA 150 ports (1 unused). I'm sure the SATA cable for data would be no problem at all.. but what about PSU? Would it power up the laptop drive without causing any damage?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

Could I just simply plug it into my desktop machine to make sure it's still working and allow my sister to access her data?

Yes, you can connect a laptop 2.5 inch SATA drive to a desktop just like a 3.5 inch regular HDD. Other than the form factor, they are basically same.

Would it power up the laptop drive without causing any damage?

If you connected it properly, nothing to worry ( assuming the drive is in good condition ). It requires considerably less power than regular 3.5 inch HDD so the wattage of your PSU won't matter.

#3 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:12 AM

Thanks very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users