Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN Connects But "No Internet Access"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jcwisgod

Jcwisgod

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Hi recently my VPN quit working correctly, It appears to connect correctly but says "No Internet Access". I've searched several help forums & I've come up empty, hopefully someone here might know a fix, Thanks :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

Ask better questions, more details about the problem... post a screenshot and whatnot.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

What is the VPN used for?  If it is for work you will need to work with your IT staff to resolve the issue.

What does an IPCONFIG /ALL look like?

#4 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

If I remember correctly, you have to uncheck the box that says  "Use default gateway on remote network"

see here for more info:

http://www.utwente.nl/icts/en/handleidingen/vpn/win7/

#5 Jcwisgod

Jcwisgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Ask better questions, more details about the problem... post a screenshot and whatnot.

No idea how I could as a much better question than that. but I'll attach screenshots

#6 Jcwisgod

Jcwisgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

What is the VPN used for?  If it is for work you will need to work with your IT staff to resolve the issue.

What does an IPCONFIG /ALL look like?

Hi it's not a work VPN. It's just to use for Anonymity, also how can I copy the info on ipconfig /all

Edited by Jcwisgod, 13 May 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#7 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:27 AM

No idea how I could as a much better question than that. but I'll attach screenshots

If you are forcing all traffic down the VPN, are you pushing DNS servers to the VPN clients? If not they will not have Internet, you can also use split-tunnel as Goalieman mentioned, this means only traffic meant for the VPN goes down that tunnel, everything else goes out the normal gateway. 

Split-tunneling, although is nice, leaves you open for man-in-the-middle attacks, and from a security standpoint, is not best practice, you should force all traffic through the tunnel to prevent this.

#8 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

Which gateway are you routing out from when you connect? Are you doing a split tunnel? What is handling your DHCP?

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Not to be repititious but, Are you using a Cisco VPN client, Netgear VPN client, Cisco AnyWhere connect, Windows VPN, Android VPN, Or IOS VPN? Do you know what your connecting to IE: A cisco ASA, A VPN concentrator, A Cisco Router, a netgear router, a Juniper Router etc. Depending on your setup there can be a several reasons why its not working.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

I have this issue from time to time with a work VPN. Most times just giving it a minute or two will make the error go away. If not do the network troubleshooting on the adapter and that normally makes it right.

#11 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

You should never use the Default gateway option with vpn's such as PPTP SSTP anyway, unless of coutrse you need to access differant routes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users