Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attention Veterans : Now Hear This

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:31 AM

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has recently learned that an employee, a data analyst, took home electronic data from the VA, which he was not authorized to do. This behavior was in violation of VA policies. This data contained identifying information including names, social security numbers, and dates of birth for up to 26.5 million veterans and some spouses, as well as some disability ratings.

Latest Information on Veterans Affairs Data Security

http://www.firstgov.gov/index.shtml
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:17 AM

Got a Name or address?

I'd sure like to discuss such with him....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

There's a number you can call....they've set up a call center capable of handling 20,000 calls an hour. They're in the links that boobme provided.

KoanYorel, if you find an address, lemme know, I'll go with you on your visit :thumbsup:

As if the VA doesn't have enough problems, this had to go and happen. I'm broke as it is. Let them take my $1.52 that I have in the bank. The thief would probably send me a letter asking me to get a better job so I can better support him.

About 2 weeks ago, I got a letter from the VA clinic in Syracuse, NY saying that one of it's employees had been arrested on charges of selling drugs. I was just down there for an MRI when that happened too........good thing an MRI doesn't require anestisia...who knows what they would've used :flowers: It was bad enough that it took me 2 1/2 months to get an appointment for the MRI to see if I had torn anything or fractured a bone in my lower leg. This latest deal with the VA is just more bad press that's not going to do the VA or it's veterans any good.

Edited by stevealmighty, 23 May 2006 - 06:48 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:43 AM

Agreed Koan, I'd gladly send any BITS of info that can be beaten out of the bushes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users