Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandisk Titanium Cruzer corrupted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jollyDJS

jollyDJS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hi there,

Having read James Litten's guide on how to fix an external drive which suddenly goes RAW (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1473090.htm#pdpFullProductInformation), and having had no joy, he pointed various blog members here.

Firstly, having seen various threads here, you seem like an incredibly helpful bunch, so thanks a lot for that.

Background to my case:
Home-build PC
2x Intel Core 2 Due E74000 @ 2.8ghz
4 GB ram
Unsure on mother board and can't find in system info.

The drive that has corrupted in a Sandisk 4GB Titanium Cruzer; basically I think not safely removed many times (I've always been pretty blasé about it - no longer!) and it's finally caught up to it.

Sandisk have their own funny U3 bootloader that shows as a cd drive - I'm wondering if that could be part of the issue?

Drive shows as RAW in Windows, therefore asks to format on entry, cmd chkdsk and repair files don't work.

Following James' tutorial above I created a Parted Magic boot drive, ran testdisk but it did not find any partition under a quick or deeper search.

Under current partition structure it shows nothing, with the comment, "Partition sector doesn't have the endmark 0xAA55".

The drive does not show as mountable in Parted Magic, but it does show under the disk health screen, though as:
Device: /dev/sdg (scsi)
Serial number: u
SMART status: Unsupported
Automatic Offline Data Collection status: Unsupported

If the only option is data recovery service, any recommendations for good software or send away services in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hello, and Welcome,

You basically have three options. Freeware, a moderately expensive software, and quite expensive.

PhotoRec is part of Testdisk and is on the PartedImage CD. There is also a Windows Version that can be downloaded. Any files recovered will have generic file names with an extenstion. You will have to go through every file and determine what it is and rename it.

Next would be the paid software Active@filerecovery. It is about $35 with the discount code and should allow you to retrieve the files with names. You may have to use the superscan to find your files

The most expensive software is DiskInternals Partition Recovery. It will try to rebuild your Partiton table, allowing you to mount the drive and retrieve the files. It costs $140.

Both DiskInternals and Active@filerecovery will allow you do run a scan to see it they can find any files.

See my post here. It has links to videos of Photorec and Active@filerecovry. Good Luck.

#3 jollyDJS

jollyDJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the recommendations.

Photorec - no joy; found the disk and allowed it to be searched, but just didn't find any files (working within Windows). I entered expert mode and made the cluster size the smallest possible and still no results.

Active@FileRecovery - saw the disk, but said "Unknown File System". I completed a super scan regardless and it did not identify any files.

DiskInternals Partition Recovery - Couldn't find a file.

I'm trying Sandisk's recommended recovery guys; it's a drive with the U3 CD element some I'm wondering if some corruption of that could be preventing anything else from processing ... I don't know.

Any other ideas before I fork out £150?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

The only other option would be to use a utility called ddrescue to create an image and then use PhotoRec or Testdisk on the image but that may put more stress on the USB flash drive. If the data is critical and the recovery is 150 I would be inclined to go that route. You could create the ddrescue image, make a copy to work with and send in the USB. That way you would still have a sector by sector copy of the USB available.

The command would be

testdisk imagefile.img    or

photorec imagefile.img  

in terminal or a coomand window if using the Windows version.

See the following. One of the better guides on using ddrescue.

You do not need to worry about part 2. Part 3 is working with images. Do not mount it as shown. Use Testdisk or Photorec as explained above. If you decide to use ddrescue, and Testdisk finds the partition, there is an easier way to mount the image. This would only work if Photorec can start recovering files from the image or testdisk detects the partiton by either doing a quick search or deep search on the image file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users