Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash drive cant copy to it

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 A L P

A L P

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Making my wife a 64 gb usb flash drive with pictures and music.  I have the Toshiba 64gb flash drive formatted to FAT32 so that it can be used on her HTC one smartphone.  I copied about 2.5gb of pictures onto the drive from my Windows 7 Home Laptop with no problem.  I started copying music.  After 7gb or so the folders will transfer, but the files within will not.  I tried copying the files into a new folder instead.  They show at 1st, but when I go back to them they have disappeared.  I have reformatted and tried again.  This time doing different music files.  Same thing happens.  any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Death Frost

Death Frost

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

Hello,

According to my knowledge, then FAT32 format is only support for files and folders below 4GB. So you must be format the USB to NTFS in order to continue your work :)

Edited by Death Frost, 11 May 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#3 A L P

A L P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

So if I keep each folder under 4gb I should be fine then right?  Thanks...1st answer I have heard that made sense

My problem is that the HTC 1 smartphone only reads FAT32.  Tried keeping folders under 4gb, but that is still not helping.  I can copy things to the flash drive, but anything new over about 9gb shows until I take the USB drive out.  plug it back in and the files I copied are now gone.  Back to the drawing board.

Edited by A L P, 11 May 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#4 A L P

A L P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

Tried another 64gb drive and the same thing happens.  so it has to be something I am doing and not the flash drives

#5 Death Frost

Death Frost

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Did you try this, using your smartphone and format the USB to FAT32? I think windows can't format to FAT32 correctly, so using this software (http://www.pendriveapps.com/format-fat32-larger-than-32gb/), maybe its help you !

P/s: I'm Vietnamese and my English communication skill isn't perfect. But I will try my best to present the problem for you. :)

#6 A L P

A L P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

My smart phone doesn't have the ability to format it.  I used Acronis Disk Director.  It reads as Fat32 and as 64Gb

Edited by A L P, 11 May 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#7 Death Frost

Death Frost

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

Have you tried the small tool I give above? RmPrepUSB maybe help you?

#8 A L P

A L P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

I tried it too.  Same thing happens.  Not sure what to do now.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hello,
You could try the following which would copy over your files without Windows. Use the small linux Distro Puppy 5.2.8. You can download it here (middle of page) and burn the iso file by double clicking in Windows 7.

Boot the CD. You may have to change the boot order in BIOS to let your CD/DVD drive be the first boot device. When Puppy finishes loading you will see your hard drive in the lower left of the desktop labeled sda1. If you have more than one partiiton you will see sda2...3...4. Attach your USB flash drive. You will see a USB icon appear next to your hard drive(s) and CD drive. Click once on your hard drive. You will see a green dot appear next to the drive and the File Manager window will open like in Windows. Click once on the USB flash drive and a green dot will appear next to it also and a File Manager window will open.

Select the files in the hard drive by left clicking and dragging to the USB flash drive window. A dialog will appear asking if you would like to copy or move. You can select multiple files/folders by left clicking and windowing around them or left clicking while holding the Ctrl key. It sounds more complicated than it is.

When finished copying, right click the USB flash drive icon and select unmount. Then you can safely detach the flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 May 2014 - 05:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users