Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External speakers work with Win. MediaPlayer but not when using the internet

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 misssbb

misssbb

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Toshiba 64 bit Satellite C655 laptop.  Is wireless but currently using cable.

Up until a few days ago, could listen to anything I wanted on the internet using free standng speakers (Creative 245).

Now, the only sound that will come out of the speakers is from Windows Media Player.

When I listen to anything on the internet, the sound will only come out of the laptop speakers.

Have had my go-to-can-fix-anything tech friend TeamViewer it with no results.

What is going on and what can I do about it?  NOTE: I am very technologically blonde so please explain it as simply as possible.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

Can you check volume icon by system tray then right-click open volume mixer?

QtxXP5o.jpg

Tekken

#3 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Thank you, yes, I'd done that.  Looks just like your image!  What's so strange is that it's been fine - this came right out of the blue.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

Check the Sound Playback devices by right-clicking sound icon and then choose Playback devices. See Speakers and Headphones are default device and post of any other devices within the particular tab.

Tekken

#5 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

Thank you.  Did everything you suggested and they still aren't working with the internet.  I just don't get it, they were fine, what possibly could have happened?

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Do the speakers have a software disk that needs to be installed? If so, you may need to reinstall the drivers and such for those speakers. There may also be a software suite for those speakers that have troubleshooting and testing functions.

#7 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Never had any software - they're cheap speakers.  And speaking of tests, when I did what BC Advisor suggested, they had a test button, which I clicked on, and it still didn't work.  Since they do work with Windows Media Player, might it be some sort of microsoft issue?  I have Windows 7 Professional.  Either that or there's a problem with the latest version of Firefox.

What does anyone think about that??

#8 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

So frustrated

Edited by misssbb, 14 May 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Do the internal speakers also work with Media Player as the Externals do?

#10 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

@JohnC_21  The laptop speakers won't/can't play anything from the internet either.  What do you think is going on??  Is it something to do with Firefox?  I think this started right after the latest update a few days ago, but could be mistaken. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

In my previous post I asked if you can hear sounds from the Internal Speakers if you are running Media Player. Can you hear sounds in Media Player or is there no sound.

#12 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Yes, the  laptop speakers work with Windows Media player.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Open Internet Explorer. Click the little gear in the upper right of the screen or Tools > Options depending on your version. In the Advanced tab, scroll down to the Multimedia section. Is Play sounds in Webpages checked? Do sounds play in IE?

16205.gif

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

Just to add on certain startup services. Go to start orb and type services - Enter. Look for Audio Services - Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Windows Audio. Check if all services are in Automatic. If one is not on default, double click the particular services then change Startup Type, hit Apply then Ok.

Tekken

#15 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

@JohnC_21   So this morning I went to watch a video and listen with headphones on Media Player.  It used to be that all I had to do was plug the headphones into the same place I plug the speakers into and they both would work.  But nothing was coming out of the headphones. 

So I right-clicked on the audio icon on the toolbar, chose Playback Devices, and changed the default from the Speakers icon to the Headphones icon.  And it worked.  Forgot all about it until I did the Internet Explorer test you suggested and sound came out of the speakers!!  They worked with Firefox, too.

The problem the whole time was that because I was using speakers, I thought the default had to be Speakers.  I don't know what the hell the Speakers icon is supposed to represent, but it didn't allow my speakers to work on the internet, nor did it allow the headphones to work with Media Player.  But when you choose Headphones as the default option, they both work with both. 

I'll believe it's all fixed when I can do either a few times in a row without having to go back and change the default.  How the whole thing went wrong in the first place is a complete and total mystery.

Thank you so much for your time and your help, I sincerely appreciate it.  Sydney

@jhayz  Thank you for your advice, but it was way above my pay grade.  I googled orb and came up with so many different results that I didn't know which to choose and couldn't even tell what it's supposed to do.  Fortunately, JohnC_21 enabled me to realize what was going on and I hope it stays fixed!  Thank you again.  Sydney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users