Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with storing multiple SSDs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bloeff

bloeff

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hi guys,

Call me crazy, but this is my plan. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on storage racks. I don't even want to use old computer cases - too crammed internally and take up too much space. I'm thinking of buying a plastic storage rack from Lowe's for $14.98! It's got 4 levels - one each for 32 SSDs. Right now I have 28 SSDs. My plan - somehow secure the 500 watt power supply to the bottom shelf - gorilla tape?. Secure a SAS expander on each shelf (I have one now). Run cable from expander to controller. Run fanout cables from expander to drives. Put drives in plastic bag! Am I crazy? Will this work? From what I've read, the total power consumption of expanders and 128 SSDs (controller limit) will be under 500 watts. It appears I can get molex cable extensions. Not sure on SAS cables. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Bruce

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

somehow secure the 500 watt power supply to the bottom shelf - gorilla tape?.

If you are spending all those $$$ on SSD's you may as well spend a few bucks or so on a decent rack system

http://store.sansdigital-shop.com/moms8bay25to1.html

32 at 1 TB each?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NIB-Samsung-840-EVO-1-TB-MZ-MTE1T0BW-mSATA-1-8-Solid-State-Drive-/111351053180?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item19ed0a3b7c

Edited by NickAu1, 11 May 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#3 bloeff

bloeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi there!

Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate your suggestions, but I work at McDonalds. if I expand to 128 drives, total enclosure cost would be $13,104! The 28 drives I have now I've slowly accumulated over the last 5 years or so. That's a cool 1TB drive! My main consideration, though, is speed over size. I'm processing audio files approaching 1GB. I figure on creating a 2TB Raid 0 volume of 28-32 small drives to boot to and manipulate the audio files. Is 2TB still the Windows boot drive limit, or is it bigger? Hoping to get 2GB per second or greater reads. Not sure what to do with all the extra space if I keep expanding. Any ideas? I've abandoned the plastic bag (dumb idea). I found some cool stackable plastic bins at Walmart. They have holes on every side and an almost open face for access. I've gotten comments on other forums about poor airflow. I've always thought that SSDs didn't need any cooling. What do you think? I would probably have a fan on the expander, though. Let me know what you think about my latest crazy configuration!

Thanks,

Bruce

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

You're going about this the wrong way.  While SSD reads are great they take a big hit on writes.  I'd recommend investing in RAM and creating a RAM work drive.  The solution will cost less, take less space, take less power, and be faster than what you're thinking about doing.

My real concern with your solution would be not having a proper ground for the drives.

#5 bloeff

bloeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the RAM drive suggestion. I've never even heard of such a beast! But I'm assuming it's volatile memory. I want to create a bootable raid 0 array which will contain very large audio files as well. I had a setup before with RocketRaid 2782 with 28 drives in a raid 0 configuration. I was getting almost 3000 MegaBytes/sec reads and almost 2000 MegaBytes writes. Obviously, important data was autosynced to multiple drives. The configuration was unbelievably fast and stable for a couple of years of extensive use- never had to retrieve any lost data! When my processing needs outgrew the X58 chipset, I made the move to X79. Unfortunately, the raid card didn't make the move with me and only works on older motherboards - bummer! So my new build is incorporating the LSI 9260-8i raid controller, which is expandable to 128 drives using SAS expanders daisy-chained together. Does anyone have experience with these expanders? The controller purports to be able to create a true Raid 0 array of up to 128 drives. I don't see how you can get true striping in that scenario. But then it gets into bandwidth and all that. When it gets much deeper than the user level interface, I usually just shut down! I'm still open to the RAM drive suggestion. Let me know how I can incorporate it into my configuration.

Thanks,

Bruce

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

Yes, you are crazy.

#7 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Buy a RAID controller that will let you do an SSD cache and that will give you speed you need and store the information on spinning disks. If you had some serious money and wanted speed I would do a Fusion-IO card. That would be what your really wanted. You do not need all that space to be SSDs. Put your working files on the SSD and place your long term storage on spinning disks. Investing in a nice RAID controller with a nice sized l1arc cache would be best. Also you could try an OCZ PCI-e SSD. They are rated for really high speeds because it doesn't have to go through the SATA interface. I have heard their reliabilty isn't that great but the speeds are awesome.

Example of an OCZ card

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Storage-Solutions-RevoDrive-warranty/dp/B005F30IYU/ref=sr_1_2/192-9711731-1730827?ie=UTF8&qid=1400083198&sr=8-2&keywords=pcie+ssd

#8 bloeff

bloeff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Sorry so late in my reply. Thanks so much for your suggestions. Right now, I'm approaching 2TB of huge audio files, any of which I need to pull up at any time. So I really need a lot of high speed storage. Before, I had 32 SSD's in a Raid 0 on the RocketRaid 2782 and was getting almost 3000 MB/sec reads and almost 2000 MB/sec writes. When my processing needs outgrew the X58 chipset, I made the move to X79. Unfortunately, the raid card didn't make the move with me and only works on older motherboards. If there is an alternative way to get this much storage at these speeds, without spending thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars, please let me know. As of now, my crazy scheme seems to be working.  I'm running the array on an LSI 9260-8i raid card and Asus P9X79 WS. Idling at 22C. I'll try to get a cheap digital camera and send you guys a picture! Just make sure it's before (not after) you've eaten!

Thanks again for all your help,

Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users