Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC changes my screen resolution automatically

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shivashish

Shivashish

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Hello,

My computer changes the screen resolution autumatically (sometimes) when I reboot my system. What exactly happened is my screen resolution was 1440 * 900 (which is the native resolution of my flat-screen monitor) before it changed to something else. Then, it switched back to 1440*900. Actually, I want it to be 1440*900 coz it is the native resolution but I want to know why it changes automatically. I have updated my graphics card's driver to the latest one. What could be the possible reason for this???

My specifications can be seen from here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3IExgMnnETH1723mA5Rn7DL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

I suspect that the startup has a service or app that wants a different resolution. Use msconfig to shut off all startups, if the problem goes away, then re-enable a few startups at a time till you find the culprit.

#3 Shivashish

Shivashish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

@ElfBane

Here's my reply to your above suggestion. Sorry for being late though

I have seen the resolution change while working on the computer. So can it still be becoz of a program that starts at start-up??

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

Your video card may have a software suite that you loaded when you installed the card, and there may be options you can tinker with there. You can google "PC changes screen resolution automatically" and see results for other peeps with this problem. Good luck.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Have you tried removing the graphics drivers completely and then re-installing them?

#6 Shivashish

Shivashish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

@smax013

Nah, didn't try that out. Do you suggest me to do it now?? 

P.S.: One problem has emerged with regard to the monitor. It occasionally flickers 5 or 6 times within 10 seconds. These are the best words that I can use to define the problem. Waiting for your reply on both the problems...

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

I would try removing and reinstalling the drivers.

#8 Shivashish

Shivashish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

@smax013

I will give you the inputs on that one....give me a no. of days...

#9 Shivashish

Shivashish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

@smax 013

I would like to know one thing regarding drivers. Isn't the latest driver of Nvidia GeForce for my graphics card the driver that I should be using now? When you are asking me to uninstall and re-install the driverS, which other drivers are you referring to? Isn't it the latest driver update that I shall be re-installing? In that case, I have downloaded the latest driver and installed it once. What shall I do now? The screen flickers violently these days.

#10 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

Smax means that you should uninstall the display drivers you currently have installed and replace them with the latest version of the drivers (which, if I understand you correctly, is what you're using AND have got).  Sometimes drivers get corrupted and reinstalling them fixes this.

Questions to consider if the driver reinstallation doesn't help:

Do you, by chance, have any programs (especially games) that run with a certain resolution lower than the native resolution of the monitor?  I have sometimes had a problem when running programs that change the resolution to what the game wants, but sometimes if the game crashes or I exit the default resolution isn't restored.  Does the change happen with particular programs, at startup only, or randomly?  How about the flickering (which could be the refresh rate)?  Does it seem associated with anything in particular.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users