Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken SD slot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Babblecat

Babblecat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

About a half hour ago, I was an idiot and I put my SD card in my HP laptop backwards. I managed to break something, and the the card will not lock in or be recognized, and the light that shows if a card is in will not turn off. I don't have high hopes for repairing the slot (but that would be great), but I would like to be able to turn the light off. I have some computer experience, as I have built a desktop before. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

(oops I posted the answer for a desktop)

Well, perhaps you could go into system device manager and disable the SD card reader?

Edited by bludshot, 11 May 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Repair is not for the amatuer, those card slots are usually soldered directly to the MOBO and extreme care is needed to remove the old jammed assembly and solder a new one in place.  Disabling clears the fault if repair is not a priority.

#4 Babblecat

Babblecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

(oops I posted the answer for a desktop)

Well, perhaps you could go into system device manager and disable the SD card reader?

Disabling the card didn't turn off the light.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:14 PM

If the laptop is not under warranty and you can't get any help with it, then if you are hardcore enough, you could look up videos on youtube for taking apart that specific laptop model. Depending on how far in you have to go, it is not for the feint of heart. Then maybe you could fix it, or at least maybe unplug the wire that goes to the light (IF it even is built that way which you wouldn't know till your laptop is in pieces). Probably this will cause more harm than good.

Or, cut a tiny square of black electrical tape and put it over the light  :|

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

If the laptop is not under warranty

I doubt warranty covers the user inserting the card the wrong way and damaging something.

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:04 AM

Yeah but it probably covers other things that will no longer be covered when the user tears apart the laptop :P

#8 Babblecat

Babblecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:05 AM

I'm not planning on taking apart my laptop.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

If it is still under a warrantee, send it back, offer no explanation other than it doesn't work anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users