Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switched out hard drive in Macbook Pro...now the computer runs SLOW.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stuffed Moogle

Stuffed Moogle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

I bought this Macbook Pro in December of 2012, and put a Toshiba 128GB SSD in it. Everything was great, and it was a great boot drive. The other day though I got the dreaded ? file folder indicating a hard drive failure. I booted the OS using Internet Recovery, and Disk Utility showed that the entire partition was gone.

Anyway, I switched out the dead one with the one that originally came with the Macbook - some stock Toshiba 500GB HDD. And the computer finally booted up which was nice, but everything is running unbelievably slow. Now I know I got spoiled by the fast speeds provided by the SSD, but I can guarantee you that I'm not overreacting about this. Every click of the track pad triggers the spinning wheel for 10-15 seconds. This is very abnormal. I've checked out my drive in Disk Utility, and everything is verified and good.

Any one have an idea why this might be happening? Is my expensive Macbook going to become an expensive brick less than two years after buying it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

Welcome,

I'm not a Mac user but I'd ask - have you updated everything? OS, graphics, drivers, security program, etc.? A couple of reboots might not hurt so that the software can become more familiar with the hardware.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dineshramdin

dineshramdin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

Try repairing disk permissions. There is also something called an SMC reset that you can do. You can find out how to do an SMC reset for your MBP in this MacBook pro running slow fix tutorial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users