Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating Recovery Partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DanFM

DanFM

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

I've done clean install of Win 8. At the very beginning of the installation I have deleted the hidden recovery partition hoping that during the installation process a new recovery partition will be created.

However that did not happen and I ended up with only one partition at the end of the installation with the Windows on it.

I did create a Recovery Disk on a USB drive ( took about 350MB of space on it) which of course can be used for booting up and repair/recovery should one day something go wrong.

However, I am not sure how to make a similar small Recovery Partition ( not the Restore/Refresh Partition) on the C drive so I can initiate repair process when C is not able to boot and my USB drive is not around.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

However, I am not sure how to make a similar small Recovery Partition ( not the Restore/Refresh Partition) on the C drive so I can initiate repair process when C is not able to boot and my USB drive is not around.

If you meant the "Windows Recovery Environment" which performs the "Automatic Repair/Startup epair" , "System Restore" etc, you don't need to do anything manually. Setting up "Windows Recovery Environment" is a part of standard installation process. Make sure it is working by entering the "Advanced Boot Options".

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html

Also the same recovery functions can be performed by booting from the installation DVD.

#3 DanFM

DanFM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:09 AM

Thanks, it is the "Windows Recovery Environment" that I want to be able to use by pressing some of the function keys during boot process.

However, neither pressing F8 nor F5 brings it up.

Pressing Esc, F1 and F9 brings some other options (BIOS, System Info, Boot options respectively).

I am able to get to the Windows Recovery Environment once the machine has booted up by going to Control Panel and looking for recovery options.

That of course will not be of much use if my C drive becomes unbootable and can't get to the Windows.

Any idea why my F5 and/or F8 keys don't load the recovery environment?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:53 AM

Hi

If "Windows 8" is installed in UEFI mode, we won't able to access "Advanced Boot Options" by pressing F8 key like with XP and 7. Some genius at Microsoft found that disabling that feature will improve boot speed in UEFI based systems. That options is not removed but rather disabled by default. You can enable the good old style "Advanced Startup Menu" by following instructions from the below link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

Btw, a clean install will remove some of the OEM implemented recovery options. For example, F11 to start recovery in HP, F9 to bring startup options in Asus etc. If you are looking to enable similar functions, you may need to do a factory restore.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 May 2014 - 03:57 AM.

#5 DanFM

DanFM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

You can enable the good old style "Advanced Startup Menu" by following instructions from the below link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

That worked flawlessly!

Exactly what I needed,

Thanks very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users