Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning up my main drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ghoul Slayer

Ghoul Slayer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

I have a small solid state drive (ssd - 120gb) which I use as my main C:/ drive. It has become overloaded with junk and I want to safely remove any unnecessary programs and reinstall to an external hd those programs which I use but are taking up prime real estate. I'm down to 10% available space. I know I should also defrag the drive as well. I don't think I've ever done that on this drive and it's about 1 1/2 years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

You...don't ever defrag SSDs.

It's not programs that take up real estate...it's data files (videos, music, etc.).  If you remove those from your SSD (having them there is not an advantage), you would be better served, IMO.

Louis

#3 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:39 AM

defrag not recommnded on ssd drives shortens its working life.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'll add to the don't you don't defrag SSDs.  SSDs work differently than mechanical drives.  Mechanical drives access data more quickly if the data is sequential, this is what defragging does.  SSDs work like RAM and the data being sequential doesn't increase or decrease data access.

TreeSize Free will show you what is taking up your space.

You can also try deleting temp files from C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Temp

#5 Ghoul Slayer

Ghoul Slayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

I'll add to the don't you don't defrag SSDs.  SSDs work differently than mechanical drives.  Mechanical drives access data more quickly if the data is sequential, this is what defragging does.  SSDs work like RAM and the data being sequential doesn't increase or decrease data access.

TreeSize Free will show you what is taking up your space.

You can also try deleting temp files from C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Temp

Can I safely delete all of the folders from those temp locations or are there some files that need to stay there. The first thing I noticed when I went to C:\Windows\Temp was the logo for AVG (my antivirus).

Edited by Ghoul Slayer, 20 May 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

Do you have Ccleaner on you system?  If not get it and run it it may surprise you how much it will get rid of.  Caution do not use the registry cleaner packaged with CC, if fact do not use ANY reg cleaners they can cause irreparable damage!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

As OldPhil suggested, the easy way to delete temp files is with CCleaner.

Or, in the search box type Run > Enter.  Then in the Run box type %temp%. This will bring up the following path. C:\Users\<youraccountname>\AppData\Local\Temp. Anything in thisTemp folder can be deleted. You can do this in all accounts on the computer.

Anything in C:\Windows\Temp can also be deleted.

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:11 AM

Run the build-in Windows Disk cleaner. Since december 2013, it also can remove archived "Windows Update"/"System files" files from the "c:\windows\winsxs\" folder. Over time A LOT OF files will be archived there and occupy A LOT OF space as well.

#9 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

Run the build-in Windows Disk cleaner. Since december 2013, it also can remove archived "Windows Update"/"System files" files from the "c:\windows\winsxs\" folder. Over time A LOT OF files will be archived there and occupy A LOT OF space as well.

Hello! I couldn't believe it. When I ran it last time it cleared nearly 2 GB of Windows Update. It was unreal!! I have never seen it clear that much. That was after I ran CCleaner :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users