Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Does Not Work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

I tried to use system restore to resolve some issues and It tells me that the system can not be restored to  the date I picked.

I  tried May 5th and than tried may 8th. No luck.

The issues I have are the page on my screen is so large that I have to use the arrows at the bottom of the screen to scroll back and forth in order to read most threads.

My desktop has also changed colors. It is now a dark blue. My desk top picture is also missing.

I have this problem using IE8 browser and with Google Chrome.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:58 PM

Have you tried the option "Last Known Good Configuration"?

To get to it, press F8 at startup, like you're going into Safe Mode. You'll see the option listed, press that & it'll reboot. Hopefully this will bring things back to normal. If this doesn't work, you'll need to consider a repair install, using your XP CD, or a clean install.

The only other thing that comes to mind here, have you ran a Full system scan with your security software?

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Check your resolution settings. It sounds like you are supposed to be running a higher resolution but the computer has switched down to 640x480. Either that or in your web browsers reset the zoom level to 100%. Try changing the desktop wallpaper to get it back.

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:22 AM

Thank you for the replies !

Before I posted my question I had run full scans with MalwareBytes, SAS and ESET. They all came back clean except for a few tracking cookies.

Right after I posted I restarted in safe mode and tried system restore. When I clicked on a calender date nothing would happen. The buttons ( date tabs) would not respond.

So I was unable to run system restore. I than started in normal mode and after it started up the resolutions had corrected themselves in IE-8 and Chrome. ???

I have no idea what caused the problem in the first place or why(how) it fixed itself.

The only issue left is the wallpaper picture. When I start up and my settings are loading the picture will flash for a few seconds and disappear. I then only have my icons on the desktop.

The picture is no longer in 'My Pictures' so I can not retrieve it there. Apparently it is still on the computer somewhere but I don't have any idea of what path to take to take to try and retrieve it.

It is a favorite picture of my wife's of our grand niece, so it is a sentimental type thing. :)

We have plenty of others though.

Thanks for the help !

PS: I have not tried last good configuration. I am scared I may mess things up again.

Dennis :)

Edited by Dennis H, 11 May 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

When you start windows in safe mode, it runs it in a basic mode with lower screen resolution. That's why everything was off the screen (and probably everything looked bigger too). Then when you start in normal mode, naturally it doesn't show the lower screen resolution anymore and shows your normal resolution.

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

I always started in normal mode and the problem was there. (for a few days)

I was just mentioning that I tried to get system restore to work in safe mode. I know things are always larger there.

When that did not work I re-started in normal mode as I usually do and expected to still have the same problems but for some reason they corrected themselves.

Dennis :)

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

Oh. I guess you are just lucky then :thumbup2: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users