Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is a file software?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shogun697

shogun697

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

I bought what i thought was software off a site which i wont name but it was a exam site i paid 30 euro for a month and got a email thanking me for buying it

"Dear xxxxxx Customer, 

Thank you for your recent purchase of CompTIA 220-802 Premium xxx

Our apologies for the delay in making your purchase available to you. Your product(s) is/are now ready for download from your Member's Area at xxxxx
We trust our products will give you the very best preparation for your certification exams.

it would not download so i emailed them back and got a email back off them saying i have to go to another site where i could download the file/software i got it was 70 euro to join that site.they said in the email back that if i had read the rules that i would have seen i had to use the other site.but it also said on the site rules

.Please note that xxxxxxxxxx is basically an information sharing platform: we do not sell software" i wrote back saying not only did buy software but you thanked me for buying it.26 emails later (god knows why they keep replying to me i even said i know i wont get my money back to them but i feel conned.i wrote *But Am I wrong in saying is not a xxx file software?and if its not software what do you call it? today they replyed

We call it “Premium xxx File”
We sell only files
for example like Word File , you will need microsoft word software to run that file,
We provide VCE File you will need VCE software to run this file
And software is sold by another site called xxxx
you have to purchase it from them
so my question is.Is a file software

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

Well, the content of a file is not hardware, it's stored data, so in that regard could be generally thought of as in the class of software. A download is thought of as a software purchase, rather than hard copy on a CD etc. But the actual term software often implies an application, executable code, rather than simply data.

From what I can make of what you've described, the business you've purchased product from prepare or market exam exercises, which are presented by the presentation engine sold by the second business.

The closest equivalent I can think of is a custom game level, which requires the game engine in order to operate. It rather looks to me like an unfortunate misunderstanding, but without more detail it's not really possible to say if there was any misleading or faulty description involved.

Edited by Platypus, 11 May 2014 - 03:53 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 shogun697

shogun697
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

Thanks for the reply its a your right its not clear cut.and yes it was a exam site.am i allowed to post the name of the site so other people wont make the same mistake thanks again

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

We provide VCE File you will need VCE software to run this file

Visual CertExam Suite is a desktop test engine designed specifically for certification exam preparation. It allows you to create, edit and take practice tests in an environment very similar to the real exam. Visual CertExam Suite includes two applications: Visual CertExam Designer and Visual CertExam Manager. Visual CertExam Designer allows you to create and edit your own professional practice tests. Visual CertExam Manager is designed for taking created tests.

#5 shogun697

shogun697
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

sorry made a mistake did not mean to name a site and to make clear i did not but the "software" off That site i named. i would have if i had known before i bought off the other site

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

In short, files cannot be used by themselves, you need a specific software to use the file.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

Software can be a file, but not all files are software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users