Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA HD not detected using VIA ASUS motherboard

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 shaokahn

shaokahn

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hello. I have a seagate 250 gb 2.5 laptop hard drive. I am trying to install it in a cpu tower with a ASUS VIA motherboard.
I plugged it into the SATA 1 slot on the bottom of the motherboard and also the power cable.
Upon starting the machine I get this message:

VIA Technologies, inc.VIA VT8237 Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility V2.01

Scan devices, Please wait...
Press <Tab> key into User window!

Hardware initiate failed, Please check device!!!!
The Bios does not be installed. Press <g> to continue!

There is a floppy, cd and dvd rom also in this computer. The cd rom is set as the master and the ribbon cables connect from the SEC IDE slot on the motherboard to the DVD rom and then into the CD ROM.

I drew a diagram in mspaint to show how most things are connected instead of explaining it all. Please have a look at the attachment and note my drawing skills are worse than my PC ones.

My BIOS :

Primary IDE Master Not detected
Primary IDE Slave not detected
Sec IDE Master HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE
Sec IDE Slave LG DVD-ROM D

Not sure what the motherboard is but on it it reads
VIA VT8237R

WX4s0Ha.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

Things to try:

- Unplug the optical drives and floppy drive from the motherboard (just to get them out of the equation)

- try sata2

- reset the bios settings to default

- try unplugging the sata drive too, then what does the computer say

- check the bios for some kind of SATA settings

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:58 AM

I think you will need to check in the BIOS setup as bludshot suggests, and find a setting to take the SATA controller out of RAID mode. It looks like it's not one that proceeds automatically in non-raid mode if it doesn't find an array.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 shaokahn

shaokahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

My motherboard is a  ASUS A8V 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard

I found this information on the asus website:

Why can't my SATA-II hard drive be detected on VIA VT8237 chipset based motherboard?

Solution

This may be caused by the fact that VIA 8237/8237R South-bridge chipsets do not provide upward compatibility with SATA-II hard disk drives at 300 MB/s. These HDDs may not even be detected at POST. To install a SATA-II hard drive, users need to lock the drive at 150 MB/s data transfer rate by HDD jumper setting. Please refer to the following jumper setting from HDDs manufacturers or visit their website for latest updates.

WD:

Samsung:

Seagate:

Hitachi:
The default setting should be in SATA-I mode. Hence, you do not need to change HDD's SATA mode from SATA-II to SATA-I. If you would like to check or change the SATA mode, please use Feature Tool provided by Hitachi.

Maxtor:
150MB/s (1.5Gb/s) jumper setting will be available at the launch of new products.

There is no settings in the BIOS that mentions RAID or SATA or anything like that.

The only thing it says is OnChip SATA BOOTROM [Enabled]

I will try bludshots suggestions and report back.

Edited by shaokahn, 11 May 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#5 shaokahn

shaokahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

In the BIOS i selected "Load Setup Defaults."

Is this how I reset the BIOS?

I plugged it into SATA 2 and unplugged the CD, DVD and Floppy.

Restarted and the same error comes up

Scan devices, Please wait...
Press <Tab> key into User window!

Hardware initiate failed, Please check device!!!!
The Bios does not be installed. Press <g> to continue!

. If I unplug the HDD.

It says

Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key.

Edited by shaokahn, 11 May 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

It  seems you have to set a jumper on your hard drive to make it run in SATA I mode. (this has nothing to do with the Sata 1 and Sata 2 ports on the motherboard so don't confuse that)

What is the model number of your hard drive? Do you see any jumper pins or instructions on the sticker on the hard drive?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

"VIA 8237/8237R South-bridge chipsets do not provide upward compatibility with SATA-II hard disk drives at 300 MB/s."

It's a good many years since I last ran into that one!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

Jumper settings for Seagate Serial ATA drives.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/193991en

3178-1.gif

#9 shaokahn

shaokahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

I dont have any jumpers or the ones for seagate drives. :(

But I do have a WD800BB Caviar drive from 2006. Not sure if the drive is dead or alive....

Its speed is 100 Mbps. I assume this one does not need any jumpers on it.

However I plug it in to the sec ide slot with a ribbon cable and place the jumper on the cable select settings and plug in the power and in the BIOS is says Not Detected for Primary/Secondary IDE/Master/Slave

The computer starts up but hangs for a bit on the BIOS splash screen then goes through two more screens and then just says Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key.

#10 shaokahn

shaokahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

ok i found a jumper and put it on the seagate. the error no longer showed up but it would just hang on a black screen.

so i switched the hdd to the sata 1 port and now it detects the hdd and boots into the windows xp setup

however when i try to install xp it still says windows cannot find a proper storage device. i have a an old floppy labled scsci raid drivers and i press f6 when prompted in the xp setup to load these drivers but it still says it cant detect a hdd.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hello,

Go here to the VIA chipset driver download page. Use the dropdown boxes. I was only able to download the version 6.10A (Dated: 13-May-2011). The zip file contains instructions on making a floppy disk with the SATA drivers.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 May 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#12 shaokahn

shaokahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

hi i have the floppy disc which worked years ago.

but just now i had the floppy ide cable plugged into the floppy drive upside down and now in the xp setup the floppy  disc gives an error

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (512) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

i think i either damaged the floppy disk or... the floppy drive....and i have no way of making a new floppy disc since i have no other pc with a floppy drive.

Edited by shaokahn, 19 May 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

That is really unfortunate. The only other way I know is to slipstream the drivers into an XP install Disk using Nlite. There are some USB external floppy drives that XP can detect at boot but not many. I believe only about three.

#14 shaokahn

shaokahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

do you think the floppy drive or disk is damaged

Edited by shaokahn, 19 May 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

It could be either one. Do you have another floppy or computer with a floppy drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users