Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials blocked by group policy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crashedboom

crashedboom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

So I recently installed Windows 7 (like 5 days ago) and after a restart to finish installing updates, I noticed MSE was not running in the system tray nor in the processes list.

When I try to open it, It says that it is "blocked by group policy. Contact your system administrator". I ran HitmanPro, found one trojan, removed it and the problem isn't solved. I can run it in safe mode, but I can't uninstall it (actually I want to re-install it). It shows a message saying I do not have sufficient access to remove it. Contact your system administrator, and I am logged in as an admin. Can anyone help?

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2014 - 12:15 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hello, and Welcome The Trojan possibly put a restriction on MSE using the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\safer\codeidentifiers\0\Paths

I would also look at this key to see if there are any references to MSE

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

In the Paths folder will be one or more keys showing the path to software that is restricted. You should delete the sub-key that references the path to MSE. I would create a Restore Point first and also create a Windows 7 System Repair Disk. If something goes wrong you can boot the disk and restore the registry.

I would also export the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\safer   and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

To the desktop.

If you want, change the extension of both exported keys from reg to txt and attach them in your next post and I will look at them.

You can also reference this thread that had a similar problem.

#4 crashedboom

crashedboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Thank you, JohnC_21 It worked!

Edited by crashedboom, 11 May 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

Your Welcome, Glad your problem is solved but I would run some other scans including TDSS Killer and Malwarebytes to see if they may be any other malware in the system.

Edit: I would also look into changing your antivirus from MSE to something like avast! free or Bitdefender Free. The latest tests have shown MSE falling in detection rates.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2014 - 07:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users