Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard boots outside the case but not inside the case

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BIOHAZARD_78

BIOHAZARD_78

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

I've seen similar topics on this forum and others but I'm hoping that by posting it here and working through the problem methodically I will stop freaking and spazzing.   :smash:

When the motherboard is sitting outside the case the system boots without error.  When the motherboard is installed there is a green light on the motherboard, indicating that it is receiving power, but absolutely nothing happens when the power switch is pressed.  

The problem is not the switch itself.  I have a switch I use for testing that connects directly to the pins on the motherboard without wires.  The same switch is connected to the board in and out of the case. 

I'm using 13 of the brass-colored stand-offs that came with the case.  The motherboard is screwed to them with screws that came with the motherboard.  

The I/O shield that came with the motherboard is in place.  

No drives or fans (aside from the CPU fans) are connected to the motherboard in either location.

Here are my build components:

• Motherboard: ASUS KGPE-D16
  • CPU1: AMD Opteron 6320 8-core 
  • CPU2: AMD Opteron 6320 8-core
  • RAM: Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC (x4)
  • PSU: SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W
  • CASE: Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Hi, Based on experience fixing others installs, The Most common cause of this problem is a misplaced brass standoff. Looking at an image of the motherboard you are using to many brass standoffs. They should only be located where there is a hole in the motherboard for a mounting screw.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. looking at the motherboard I see 7 mounting screw holes, 3 at the top and three at the bottom and 1 in the middle, this would do it. The Power supply will not turn on if it detects a short circuit to protect itself.

Edited by rotor123, 10 May 2014 - 02:36 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 BIOHAZARD_78

BIOHAZARD_78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Huzzah!  Thank you rotor123!  Removing the unnecessary standoffs has resolved this issue.  

This build has been going in fits and starts since last October so I'm not sure what I was thinking when I put all those extra standoffs in there.  I'm going to guess I thought the motherboard needed more support or something silly like that.  :oopsign:

P.S. It uses 9 screws. ;-)  The number is actually irrelevant; your suggestion to remove the unnecessary standoffs resolved the problem. 
th_screwholes_zpsaf3d82e2.png

Edited by BIOHAZARD_78, 10 May 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hi, You did a good job with the trouble shooting when You pulled the Motherboard and tried it outside the case. Normally that is the first suggestion when a new build does not power on. :thumbsup:

I had a suspicion that would be the cure. I was looking at a image off of the internet when I thought I saw 7 or 8.  Either way i was pretty sure 13 was too many.

I am glad it worked out OK, Usually from what I've seen the Motherboard is not damaged fortunately.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users