Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD+SSD Problem

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Portspins

Portspins

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

First of all, I guess you will need to know my computer:

Core i7-4770, 8gb 1600mhz ram, 250gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1tb HDD, nvidia gt635, Windows 8.1 Update 1, 460w PSU

Ok, now to the problem. I just got the SSD, installed it alongside my HDD, and used the Samsung migrate software to transfer my OS and program files to the SSD. The problem is that my computer still boots in about 40 seconds and shuts down in 4 MINUTES!!! The problem might be that the OS and program files still want to load from the HDD, but I don't know that for sure. Here's the interesting part and the part that lets me know that this is all the HDD's fault: I unplugged my HDD and the computer loads in 10 seconds and shuts down in 4 SECONDS!!! I would just delete Windows and Program Files from the HDD, but they are protected by trustedinstaller.exe. I also need to mention that I switched the sata cables from their ports and retried, but that didn't seem to do anything. This is my first post and I've never had a problem like this before, so I'm sorry if I'm leaving out necessary information or not describing this very well. I'm not sure if the HDD being connected at all is the problem or it having OS and PFs is. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

If the SSD boots into Windows without any problems with the hdd unconnected I would suggest wiping the drive with a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke, format it and use it for storage.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Portspins

Portspins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Ok. But is there any reason other than having os and pf's on the HDD that I should be having this problem?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

There could be any of several problems causing the hdd to load slowly, bad sectors on the hdd, corrupt files in Windows...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Portspins

Portspins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

Alright. Let's hope DBAN does the job. I had looked at this before but it looks to be pretty complicated. I'll look up some instructions on what to do.

#6 Portspins

Portspins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

Having trouble booting to disk. I think maybe the ISO was messed up during the burning process. I am redownloading it now.

#7 Portspins

Portspins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

Can someone give me a little guidance? I have burned the .iso file to a disc after my second downloading of it and I set the boot options to "Internal ODD Devices" first. All my computer will do is boot from the hard drive.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Can someone give me a little guidance? I have burned the .iso file to a disc after my second downloading of it and I set the boot options to "Internal ODD Devices" first. All my computer will do is boot from the hard drive

Windows 8.1? Secure Boot may need to be disabled.

How to Disable Secure Boot in Windows 8 So you can run Linux. Or in your case boot from CD/DVD

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529487/how-to-disable-secure-boot-in-windows-8-so-you-can-run-linux/

I gather you want to delete everything on the HDD?

If yes.

GParted is a free partition editor for graphically managing your disk partitions.

With GParted you can resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss, enabling you to:

• Grow or shrink your C: drive
  • Create space for new operating systems
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions
  • Delete and create partitions

http://gparted.org/

Just delete the partition on HDD and make a new one. I used a USB stick instead of a HDD but its the same just takes a few minutes longer. Yes it works in Windows too. And there is a live version for CD or USB.

View My Video

I just got the SSD, installed it alongside my HDD, and used the Samsung migrate software to transfer my OS and program files to the SSD

A fresh install is always best in my opinion.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 May 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#9 Portspins

Portspins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

How do I disable UEFI?

EDIT: Secure Boot, gotcha.

Edited by Portspins, 11 May 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

How to Disable Secure Boot in Windows 8 So you can run Linux. Or in your case boot from CD/DVD

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529487/how-to-disable-secure-boot-in-windows-8-so-you-can-run-linux/

#11 Portspins

Portspins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I just got the SSD, installed it alongside my HDD, and used the Samsung migrate software to transfer my OS and program files to the SSD

"A fresh install is always best in my opinion."

Yes this would be nice, but I don't have a disc for it. Windows 8 was preinstalled on the desktop. Is there another way? Btw, I was able to get into DBAN by disabling Secure Boot and changing from UEFI to Legacy. It says "UNRECOGNIZED DEVICE" at the point I am to select the hard drive. I sure don't know what's up.

Edited by Portspins, 11 May 2014 - 07:50 AM.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

DBAN by disabling Secure Boot and changing from UEFI to Legacy. It says "UNRECOGNIZED DEVICE" at the point I am to select the hard drive. I sure don't know what's up.

Ok at least you got in, I do not know as I have never used it. I use Gparted.View My Video

A fresh install is always best in my opinion."

Yes this would be nice, but I don't have a disc for it. Windows 8 was preinstalled on the desktop. Is there another way?

Yes if you have a genuine activation key. You can DL Windows ISO from M$ and use that.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 May 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#13 Portspins

Portspins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Ok. Let me try this gparted. I think since it runs within Windows it might have the problem with trustedinstaller.exe, but it appears to be my best option at this point. I guess I have a genuine activation key.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Ok. Let me try this gparted. I think since it runs within Windows it might have the problem with trustedinstaller.exe, but it appears to be my best option at this point. I guess I have a genuine activation key.

Ok My 2 cents worth.

Gparted runs from USB or CD use 1 or the other .

BUT

Before you do anything else UNPLUG YOUR SSD yes unplug both the power lead and the other one, then you can mess with Gparted and the HDD all you like ok.

Just follow my video on how to delete and create a partition.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 May 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#15 Portspins

Portspins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Oh yeah, I've had my SSD unplugged from the beginning of my troubleshooting, just to make sure I don't delete anything off it. So if I wipe Windows off the HDD but still have the migrated one on my SSD, can I do a fresh install?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users