Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing lost/damaged files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HelpMePlease321213

HelpMePlease321213

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

So I have just recently got the error message to repair or replace system32.hal.dll file and I have been looking online for some solutions.  I came across one that I have pasted into the bottow of this, my issue now is that I cannot get past step 4.  When I go into the recovery console I get the following,

"Microsoft Windows XP<TM> Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery funtionality.

Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the compupter.

C:\>                                          "

I do not get an option to select any Windows Installations, in which the videos heading into the recovery console get the options, in place of my C:\>, of the following,

"1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installtion would you like to log onto

<To cancel, Press ENTER>?                                          "

What does this mean for me?  Repairable? Crashed Hard drive? Recoverable data?

In situations where it has become damaged, either from virus activity or hardware failure, it may be necessary to replace it with an undamaged copy. Here are the steps necessary to replace the hal.dll file with an undamaged copy from the Windows CD:

1. As above, insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
4. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
5. At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.) If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.
6. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Hal.dll Missing Or Corrupt - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00044897&lc=en&dlc=de&cc=de&lang=de&product=3962105

Missing Windows hal.dll file - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000490.htm

Restore Hal.dll - How To Restore Hal.dll From the Windows XP CD - Hal.dll - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/restorehaldll.htm

Louis

#3 HelpMePlease321213

HelpMePlease321213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Right, I get all that, but when I go into the Recovery Console I get

Microsoft Windows XP<TM> Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery funtionality.

Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the compupter.

C:\>

There is no option for me to choose which windows installation to use like it says here in step 4 - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole_4.htm

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Where did you get your Recovery Console disk?

System manufacturer and model?

The only time I've seen the RC fail to list an existing  Windows XP installation was when the install/hard drive were screwed up and I had to delete and reinstall the O/S.

Louis

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:46 AM

Most of the time i saw a "hal.dll" missing error , it was a corrupted Windows installation due to the bad sectors in HDD surface. I have also seen "C:" partition severely corrupted due to sudden power failures. Running CHKDSK on "C:" may help fixing the issue but if there are surface defects in the HDD, running CHKDSK may cause data loss. I would suggest testing your hard drive using "Seagate Seatool" first.

Download "Seatool for DOS" CD image from http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Burn it as per this instructions - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201431en

Boot from the CD and execute "Long Test".

seatools-2.png 

"Seatool" will only perform a read test and it is usually considered as safe. But if your HDD is a "Seagate" one, the tool may prompt for an option to repair bad sectors at the end of scan. Please skip the repairs to prevent data loss and report whether the test is a PASS or FAIL. If you are not sure, take a clear screenshot using a digital cam or smart phone and attach it with next reply.

(although very rare, a failing memory can also cause missing HAL message - especially if the very first few MB of the module is faulty. Since HAL is loaded before the kernel, there won't be any blue screen messages ).

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 May 2014 - 01:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users