Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen for 20 minutes between boot and login

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KVS

KVS

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite and I'm running Vista.

Basically my computer will start up and do everything fine and then it just goes black for about 20 minutes before the cursor shows for a few mins before very slowly loading the login page and then slowly loads the desktop.

I can't get a virus scanner to run for more than a half hour or so before the computer just turns off.

Also - I haven't given it the time to see if it comes out of it like normal start up, but it appears to fail to boot in safe mode.

What can I do? I know I haven't given any info as to what I've tried, but I'm really lost.

Thank you

Edited by KVS, 10 May 2014 - 12:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Please post what you have tried.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KVS

KVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

I've tried system restore (fails due to the need to restart to complete it), safe mode (freezes half-way through) and startup repair does nothing for me.

I've been waiting on Speccy for a LONG time now and it still hasn't completed.

This is what I have so far

Attached File  Capture.JPG   56.02KB   0 downloads

I can copy/past any part of it, if that will help - I have no clue how long until it finishes. It's already been a half hour

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Have you gotten past the "Copy to Clipboard and Close"?

If you have open your topic and right click in the text area, then click on paste, then click on Post.

This will place a hyperlink in your post which will open it for viewing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 KVS

KVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

No, it is still analyzing one more section before I get to that part. Will keep you updated

#6 KVS

KVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

OK I finally got it!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/fpCAI8CJmX3cSrFS3F6P5zN

#7 KVS

KVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

bump - please help. thank you!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

There is no need to bump this topic.  I saw you previous post yesterday afternoon but had other priorities, like planting my wife's vegetable garden.

You need to install SP2.

Your notebook is running too hot.  I would suggest purchasing a can of Duster (canned air) and blow the computer out via the vents.  

Is this computer being run on a flat solid surface?

Your hdd only has 7% free space, you should have a minimum of 10 - 15% free space.  The S.M.A.R.T. status is posting a warning.

I would suggest running chkdsk /r

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start orb and type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

#9 KVS

KVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

I greatly appreciate your taking the time out of your busy gardening day to help lil old me.

I doubt it's the temperature or the free space that is causing the drastic change in delay time, as both of these have been true of my laptop for a year or two, minimum.

I will do as you say and report back, captain.

Thanks

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hi

According to the SMART data collected by "Speccy" , there are at least 6 unstable/bad sectors in your drive's surface. I would recommend backup all data to an external medium and replacing the hard drive as soon as possible. But if you prefer, you can try running "Hitachi Drive Fitness Test" ( DOS bootable , Windows version is useless ) to repair the bad sectors ( after data backup ). However repaired drives are generally  less reliable and i won't recommend doing that.  

Btw, the symptoms you described are very common with failing hard drives.  

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 May 2014 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users