Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I install a printer on Mint 16?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

I have just installed Mint 16 as a dual-boot system on my desktop pc. The printer is an Epson Stylus DX5000 and works fine with XP, and I'm trying to get it to work with Mint 16 as well.

In the printer set up utility in System Settings, I add the printer and it searches for drivers and comes up with two options:

epson-espcr

local drivers

Clicking on epson-espcr to download it, I'm asked for my password, but after typing that in the driver doesn't download. I've tried a few times, and waited a while, but the progress bar doesn't move. So I had a look in Package Manager and found the same driver there, so installed it from Package Manager, and Package Manager says it's installed.

My question is, how do I get the printer to use that driver?

Going back into the printer set-up utility, I thought that if I selected ''local drivers'' then it might find the driver that is supposedly installed, but I have left the utility searching for local drivers for around 2 hours now, and it's still searching!

(In case it matters, the printer is swiched on, and plugged into a USB socket)

Edited by Al1000, 10 May 2014 - 12:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

http://youtu.be/DNbmSjOFrHE

#3 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

http://youtu.be/DNbmSjOFrHE

Thanks for the video. I just tried that, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

#4 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Did you try getting the drivers directly from Epson? (http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

My search there yielded: epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.4.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb (for 32 bit)  &  epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.4.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.de (for 64 bit)

Both packages did download. How they'll install and run don't know, You could try and alternate installer like GDebi. Good luck.

#5 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

I had tried Epson, but somehow ended up downloading epson-inkjet-printer-espcr_1.2.3-lsb3.2_i386.deb, instead of the correct file that you list above. So I uninstalled the package that I had installed, found the correct one in Package Manager and installed it instead, and the printer works like a charm.

Thanks for your help!

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

That is one of the better things about today's Linux OS's, most of the time the printer will just install itself when turned on.

5 years ago, this wasn't the case & those i386.deb files, if existed for the brand & model of the printer, were needed. Some users had to make & install their own drivers, in particular 64 bit Linux users.

Thanks for the reminder, I'm still in the process of setting up Mint 17 Mate 64 bit, plugged the printer (Kodak ESP 3250 AIO) in, turned it on, went to Administration > Printers, it was there inside of 30 seconds, ready to roll. No additional configuration was needed.

I installed it the same way on Mint 16 & 13 (skipped versions 14 & 15). Normally I'll install the newest LTS version (5 years support), then will skip the next two releases, as those are usually on short support time frames, but will install the version before the next LTS is issued.

Support for Mint 16 is only remaining until July 2014. The link for 17, supported until April 2019, is at the top of the list.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 17 May 2014 - 12:31 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users