Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imminent hard drive failure?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

I did a scan using Active SMART and it told me this:

All said it was OK and green, but i still the get the warning that I should replace this hard drive immediately.

Can anyone explain where in the test results shows a serious problem?

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hi

Seagate do have it's on diagnostic tool and using it to test the hard drive is the proper way to confirm whether the drive is healthy or not. Download and install it from the below link.

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

What you need to run is "Basic Tests --> Long Generic" and it will thoroughly test your drive and report it's present condition. As you may already know, a HDD can fail at any time without any warnings or signs. This is due to the mechanical nature of the drive. So backup your data regularly even if "Seatool" certifies it as healthy.  

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:51 AM

thanks, i will try that out!

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

After about 3 hours of doing the long generic test, it said, PASS in green color.

So this, too seems to say that my drive is fine and nothing wrong with it.  Why did Active SMART warn me of imminent faliure?  Even in Active SMART all test results showed "green"/OK status.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

So this, too seems to say that my drive is fine and nothing wrong with it.  Why did Active SMART warn me of imminent faliure?  Even in Active SMART all test results showed "green"/OK status.

No idea mate - it might be a bug. If you paid for this product, you should report this to the developers. 

http://www.ariolic.com/techsupport.html

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 May 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#6 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:44 AM

thanks i appreciate your tips though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users