Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP (preping for the end)#2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Verrette

Verrette

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Related to my post in Windows XP Forum "Windows XP (preping for the end)"

Computer Info:

Microsoft Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Version 2002

SP3, 64X2 Dual

Hewlett-Packard Co.

Alrighty, doing some research... and I relize Jave is a microsoft supported plugin. Obviosly I am running XP (with no plans to swich to linus or alt) so, now my question is What is a Java alternative? Or, do I need it at all? If I remove it completely without an alternative will firefox still run smoothly??

Thanks! -Stacey

(my computer info:Microsoft Windows XP - Media Center Edition Version 2002 - SP3, 64X2 Dual - Hewlett-Packard Co.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Your OS, browsers & software will continue to run fine without JAVA. Have a read here... http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/03/ask-lh-what-is-java-is-it-insecure-and-do-i-need-it/

or Google up "Do I Need Java" for lots of articles.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Very few users really needs Java to be installed, you'll be notified if so. Example are Open Office (or used to be).

There are certain driver sites that requires Java, such as Intel & NVIDIA update, however they provide the temporary copy needed & is deleted after the update (or checking for). Few, if any OEM's bundles Java with their computers now due to the security risk.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users