Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Cleaning Essentials

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Verrette

Verrette

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

Related to my post in Windows XP Forum "Windows XP (preping for the end)"

Computer Info:

Microsoft Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Version 2002

SP3, 64X2 Dual

Hewlett-Packard Co.

I have attempted to download Comodo Cleaning Essentials > http://www.comodo.com/business-security/network-protection/cleaning_essentials.php

It downloaded as a zip folder (for both my browsers; Firefox & Chrome)

How do I continue with the download, or how do I go about downloading?

My goal is to have the following installed on my computer (due to the XP support ending)

Security

Comodo Cleaning Essentials

Comodo Firewall (in which I will turn off my windows firewall)

Antivirus

Avast (I installed yesterday)

Anti-Maleware

Hitman Pro

Malewarebytes (installed)

Thanks! -Stacey

(my computer info:Microsoft Windows XP - Media Center Edition Version 2002 - SP3, 64X2 Dual - Hewlett-Packard Co.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

IMHO...

Comodo Internet Security (free)

Comodo Dragon Browser (based on Google Chrome)

or

Comodo Ice Browser (based on Mozilla Firefox)

depending on your personal browser preference

Of course the best resort would be to consider migrating to Windows 7

#3 Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

Hello Verrette :)

With Comodo Firewall installed, you don't need Comodo Cleaning Essential.

The feature of this last one is integrated in Comodo Firewall. :)

Regards

P.S.: Please be sure to activate the Defense+

#4 Verrette

Verrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Ok, I hope I only have to answer this once, if I was planning on switching to windows 7 or new system, I wouldn't be wasting my time with these posts of preping my XP.

Now I see that the "Free Internet Security Compplete Virus Protection and Malware Removal" is probably what I was looking for.....

It includes: Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Rootkit, Bot Protection, Defense+, Auto Sandbox Technology, Memory Firewall & Anti-Malware.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php?tc=1&key5sk1=b9ec0f999f0ff8992ef05ec81e1543b7473eac09&key5sk2=&key5sk3=1399739062000&key5sk14=&key5sk15=1399735972000&key5sk16=5630&key5sk17=1399739198000&key5sk18=5630&key5sk19=1399739226000&key6sk1=&key6sk2=FF290&key6sk3=5&key6sk4=en-us&key6sk5=US&key6sk6=1&key6sk7=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comodo.com%2Fbusiness-security%2Fnetwork-protection%2Fcleaning_essentials.php&key6sk8=120-1&key6sk9=12801024&key6sk10=true&key6sk11=7c480e2d2fe32bbf77a0068ea144b0285a480d35&key6sk12=2035&key7sk1=111&key7sk2=43&key1sk1=dt&key1sk2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comodo.com%2Fbusiness-security%2Fnetwork-protection%2Fcleaning_essentials.php

Again, I am trying to get rid of or disable microsoft products and software, plugins etc... because the support for XP is ending.

Does this make sense? I will check back in a few, and I will see if this will download....

Thanks for your advise, and please keep it coming...

Thanks! -Stacey

(my computer info:Microsoft Windows XP - Media Center Edition Version 2002 - SP3, 64X2 Dual - Hewlett-Packard Co.)

#5 Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,564 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hi again,

what do you want to download is the Comodo Firewall with the Comodo Antivirus. Might be a good choice, but Avast! antivirus is better than Comodo.

So, I suggest you to keep Avast! and Comodo Firewall. :)

Again, I am trying to get rid of or disable microsoft products and software, plugins etc... because the support for XP is ending.

Does this make sense? I will check back in a few, and I will see if this will download....

Of course it does, but there are other issues from other stuff, that you can see on this very good topic by quietman7.

Regards

Edited by Clairvoyant, 10 May 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

I actually just uninstalled COMODO INTERNET SECURITY (CIS), earlier today. I've been using CIS since 2009 or 2010. On 2014_04_09, I had placed the CIS current version on my computer and since then had it running in the training mode. The training mode is suppose to learn what I do, and add appropriate rules for me.

Well, I went from training mode to safe mode earlier today, CIS was suppose to know what my habits were. So I started up one of the programs that I used countless times in the past month, CIS kept asking permission to let the program execute. I checked the programs in the area where the programs were listed, and the program was there, with permission to run, CIS kept asking permission to allow it to run.

If you you look at the "ALLOWED APPLICATION" category, you'll see that the run as EXE parameter doesn't have an allow option, only ASK. To override this, then you have to drill down, and one at a time, add an exception, which is ridiculous. Once you say the program is OK, you shouldn't have to do this.

Then, at times when I reboot my computer, I'd have to reboot it 4-5 times, because CIS is causing things not to display or run on bootup. I have to start the task manager, and attempt to terminate CIS, before something would show up. I uninstalled CIS and the boot process went just fine. I installed an INTERIM FIREWALL (at least that's the plan) I'm using, and I had no problems. This INTERIM FIREWALL (NO THIS ISN'T THE NAME OF IT) had been running on my testbed, desktop computer for a month.

The INTERIM FIREWALL detects when a program is running, and asks permission to let it run. I tell it AOK, and it remembers it. Only on occasion will the INTERIM FIREWALL ask again. But that would be like the program trying to access the INTERNET, when previously it was say trying to do something in say C:\\WINDOWS, for example.

But the INTERIM FIREWALL will allow you to highlight a program in the list (or multiple programs on the list), and with just a couple of mouse clicks allows all actions on the list, deny all actions on the list, or selectively choose certain actions. All tests I performed blocks incoming access, unless specifically allowed.

CIS didn't think things out. When there's a "ALLOWED APPLICATION" category, the run as EXE should have a "ALLOW" option, it's only common sense, not an "ASK" option!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,564 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

I agree with quietman. :)

Scotty, about your trouble with allowed application, I don't know what may happened but currently I'm using Comodo Firewall (not CIS) and I haven't any issue.

Maybe there is something corrupted in your installation, and you have to reinstall Comodo.

Regards

#9 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

I don't think it is a corrupted installation.  Why?  I've installed CIS on different computers, including friends, downloaded just before it was installed, and the "ALLOWED APPLICATION" area always had ASK or BLOCK for Run an Executable, for others, for example "Interprocess Memory Access", it has ASK, BLOCK or ALLOW.  It's got progressively worse from version 5, to version 6, to version 7.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Have you checked with?
Comodo Sales and general inquires telephone contact support
Comodo Product Support
Comodo Support home page <- register & submit a ticket
Comodo Support Forums

#11 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

If your question is directed towards me, yes, I've done everything within the confines of the support that COMODO provides (I was using the free version).  I've asked other people that I know, that I haven't helped to look at their COMODO also, and they see the same thing.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Other COMODO Users who are members here at BC can assist to some extent but COMODO Support Techs are the experts for their product. Lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product is one reason folks look for other alternatives.

#13 Verrette

Verrette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

Great advise.... I downloaded the Comodo Suite and so far no problems. I also have avast for extra protection.

In my first post, that was the point I was trying to get across... what is better, having the Comodo antivirus and also the separate firewall or the suite...

In my first attempt I was trying to download the Comodo antivirus and also the separate firewall, but it was only downloading as a zip folder and I don't really know how to unload those....

I have Malewarebytes, but I was thinking of downloading Hitman pro too...

Thanks! -Stacey

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

Great advise.... I downloaded the Comodo Suite and so far no problems. I also have avast for extra protection.

It's not advisable to use 2 antivirus products. Using 2 at the same time doesn't necessarily equate to extra protection.

Please read this post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629
starting at IMPORTANT NOTE which will tell you why you should not have more than one antivirus.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

If you downloaded COMODO Internet Security suite with anti-virus and firewall, you do not need (nor should you be using} avast anti-virus.

See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users