Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a printer driver collection.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 famicus

famicus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Just started my tier 1, and I see I spend a lot of time helping clients attach their printers. So surely I need to make this process as efficient as possible!

I'm trying to get a comprehensive selection on my usb, and I'm hoping I don't have to spend a day on every manufacturer's site grabbing drivers. Where can I find these goodies in bulk? 

Also, when you do get them from the official sites don't they come as a cumbersome install wizard? I just want the ini.

Any help would be very appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

One of the features of the newer Windows is the web search function for drivers  needed.  Attach  the device, let the OS recognize the new hardware, let it identify the device and search the web for the appropriate driver.  Even if you have the mfgr disk, this will eliminate all the crapware that gets loaded with the install software.  Tool bars and such will take up machine cycles in an already jammed running process.  Just the drivers please.

#3 famicus

famicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

That does happen sometimes, and it's a godsend when it does. But most of the models I work with just don't seem to catch it (i work with a lot of older models). I am lucky though, I have access to our install vendor's drive and they have a good collection of drivers there.

Maybe 20% of the printers I find send me back to the web now. Which is awesome, but i want that 100% and I know this means in future jobs that number could be anything unless I try to prepare for it.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

If these are locally connected printers you will need the drivers.  If they are networked printers the drivers will be downloaded from the machine hosting the printer.

In general, downloading drivers for every possible printer possible is a waste of your time.  You should only download drivers that you need.  Most companies purchase the same brand, if not model, of printers, this makes supporting them much easier.  You'll find that you're normally installing the same three or four printers over and over.

If the company has not standardized, or better yet mandated network printers, you might make this suggestion as it saves both time and money when it comes to printers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users