Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnostics policy service not running

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ForbiddenFruit

ForbiddenFruit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

Hello, new user here so I hope I've put this in the right place.

I've booted up my laptop this morning to find that it won't connect to the internet. I found some info by googling that suggested I should make sure diagnostics policy service and a couple of other things were set to Automatic (mine were on manual) and to run sfc/scannow. The scan came back with Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them so now I don't know what I do. I only had a new hard drive a couple of months ago because my old one was fried :-(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

Corrupt files don't mean that the hdd is going south.

Please post the sfc /scannow log, use the information below to access and copy it.

copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic.  

Edited by dc3, 10 May 2014 - 02:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ForbiddenFruit

ForbiddenFruit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for your response.

I can run the scan but how do I post the log when I can't connect to the Internet? I'm posting on my tablet at the moment but it doesn't have a USB port to copy over stuff.

#4 sarojgilbert

sarojgilbert

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

I can run the scan but how do I post the log when I can't connect to the Internet? I'm posting on my tablet at the moment but it doesn't have a USB port to copy over stuff.

Can you transfer the file to your tablet via USB or thumb drive and post from someone else's computer? 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

Can you transfer the file to your tablet via USB or thumb drive and post from someone else's computer? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 sarojgilbert

sarojgilbert

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

guess you need to buy or borrow a thumb drive and find a computer u can use... my tablet (Kindle) has a USB port for data transfer and a mailing address too

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

@sarojgibert

In post #3 ForbbidenFruit has posted that they do not have a USB port on their tablet.  This means that they can not use any USB device. :grinner:

#8 green_orange

green_orange

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

@sarojgibert

In post #3 ForbbidenFruit has posted that they do not have a USB port on their tablet.  This means that they can not use any USB device. :grinner:

But ForbiddenFruit didn't say that his PC's USB ports dont work :)

He could do one thing... take the logs from his PC on a USB thumb drive, and go to a friend's house or to the library or something and post the logs from there ;)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

I was simply pointing out to sarojgibert that there isn't a USB port on their tablet.

Yep... putting the log on a flash drive and then using another computer to post it here is definitely one way to do this.  I had actually thought that by the mention of using a flash drive this would have occurred to them. 

#10 ForbiddenFruit

ForbiddenFruit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

The only other laptop I have is my work one and it's locked down to stop the usb ports being used for anything other than a mouse because I work for a bank. All my neighbours use tablets at home. I will come back on this but I need to try to find another laptop I can use.

I tried to see if I could connect via ethernet directly into my router but it's asking for a user name and password and I have no idea what it is.

Edited by ForbiddenFruit, 12 May 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

I tried to see if I could connect via ethernet directly into my router but it's asking for a user name and password and I have no idea what it is.

Tried to connect what?

#12 ForbiddenFruit

ForbiddenFruit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Tried to connect what?

As I couldn't connect wirelessly from the laptop to my broadband I thought it was worth trying to connect to it on a wired connection to the router.

I've still not found a way of getting the info from the non functioning laptop

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

I provided the instructions for accessing the sfc /scannow log.  You could copy this and put it on a flash drive, CD, or DVD and use a friends computer, a public library's computer to post it here.  I live in a small town with a population of 1700, our county library has five computers which you can reserve a specific time.  I would have to assume that you would have a similar type of access where you live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users