Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samba Port 445 Blocks Offisite network drive mapping vs Cloud

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 questorflab

questorflab

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:47 AM

That probably sounds like a mouthful.

It IS handful. I have now tried for well over a year to get someone to explan the logic to me. I have run across very few who even understand the relatioships.

I will do my best to clarify as I have decided that there MUST be someone somewhere who can see the most obvious benefit from this and at least tell me if their is just some small item i am missing.    

Out office servers have alwasys had shared datafolders that were designed to work with a MYSQL datatabase.  These documents are needed for all uses as they are the links posted in each record.

They are esinged to be accessed whether inside the office OR  outside the office using a Mapped network resource as the data repository for the fies needed for the SQL database.

But to put it more simply this could just as easily be someones music collection, Or books. Or anything.

The key here is that they are hosted on a real MS Server 2008R2 system with all the ocrrect settigings. Ther permissions and security levels to access he files are all perfect.

When they are on the local newtork, the drives map with no problems and works perfectly. When they go HOME, or Anywhere ouside the office, they normally connect back using a VPN and then map the drive as they alwawys had.

For many of them up North, one day, this just stopped working, Not slowly, no small errors, it just stopped.

I spent weeks loking at every angle I could find before I happened to notice that their outgoing port 445 had been blocked ... BY their ISP.

When I confronted them with proof this driifted around quite a bit before come 'tech guru" proclaimed it was being done for their

safety to hprevent the spread of an Intrnet Worm !!

True or not, I would have thought they would block the INcoming so their client would not GET this worm  But they were only blocking the OUTgoing side

A little more digging bought up the facts that:

A: This aws ONLY done for HOME Inernet usersl. Apparentl they cared nothing about "ptotecting" their BUSINESS customers because if the person paid the EXTRA $$ for Home Business Connection, the problem disappeared. Reason being Port 445 ws no longer blocked.

B: Port 445 both TSP and UDP is absolutely required t map a Windows Sambe Network Share to drive letter. As far as I hav been abe to determine i is the ONLY port that can be used. I have tried MANY different schemes to get this to work by remapping the port or anything else any one had to offer,

Nothing works.

In this first post, I was hoping to see if anyone else has ever seen anything quite like this or if anyone has a simliar setup where they could TRY mapping from their Home back to their office server just to know if it is only me.

Or if anyne has seen this same type of behavor if or they had found a way around it/

Othe than the obvious solution of paying the extra costs to upgrade their HOME service to Businesss server which immeditely removed the "protective block and allows the drive to be mapprd.

Thanks for your commnts.

Mike

PS: NOT ALL ISP's Do this blocking.  My own dow snot and I can easily map a drive back to he office server.  Yet almost ALL the "larger ones" DO use it

Thanks and sorry for any typos at 1 am hard to see :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

It makes since that they block port 445 for home users and not business users. Port 445 is very exploitable and most home users aren't tech savvy on how to protect themselves if it were open. Whereas businesses I would hope would have someone there that can set up proper security for opening port 445. So that is not surprising in the least that if you pay you can get it unblocked.

As far as workarounds, I'll admit I probably haven't spent as much time as you have looking into it lol, but FTP seems to be the only viable answer. I'm not sure if that would work for your clients or not or how secure that could be made without spending time looking into it. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help. But seems to be a common problem that you'd think there'd be an easy workaround lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users