Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure out what is causing shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TuckInTN

TuckInTN

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:23 AM

Hoping you folks can help lead me down the path away from the ledge...

Have a really strange problem with system shutting down with no warning, and no logs being created.  Here's what I think I have figured out so far: It's not a virus in the OS (Win 8, but drive has since been wiped out), and I don't think it's an overheating problem.

I have two hard drives in the computer, one is a 500GB with Win XP still loaded on it, the second is a 2TB hard drive that I had installed about 10 months ago with Win 8.  Motherboard and CPU are both about 4 years old, AMD X4-925 on a MSI NF750-G55 board.  Most of the time the computer is run in Win 8 and about a week ago I started having the computer just shut down randomly (like you expect if you just pulled out the power cord), sometimes might be after the computer is on for 30 minutes or after 2.  Now this is where it's getting me twisted up, I can run the computer from the drive with XP on it with no problems.

So far I have wiped out the Win 8 hard drive and attempted to reload the system, but it shuts down before Windows can complete the installation.  Have replaced the power supply (went from 550 Watt to 750 Watt) and have bought another new hard drive.  After changing out the power supply still getting the problem, even when I try to install the system on the newest hard drive.

And the XP drive still works with no problem.

Next thing I am thinking I'll try is replacing the motherboard and CPU, but would rather avoid spending the money.

Thanks for any ideas/help here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:32 AM

My initial guess would be leaky caps on the MB (some MBs still have liquid-filled caps), but since the XP HDD works fine, that apparently isn't the problem. Next guess is RAM has gone bad. I would swap out the RAM, or attempt to isolate the faulty stick.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Well..if you experience no problems on one drive in a dual-boot...I would not expect it to be the motherboard (they don't give a damn about which O/S or drive is being used).

The obvious suspect would be the Win 8 hard drive, IMO.

Louis

#4 TuckInTN

TuckInTN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thanks ElfBane for the suggestion will try that.  One other thing I have tried so far tonight is loading XP on one of the other (1 brand new and one wiped clean) hard drives.  So far it is proceeding without the shutdown, but it's still early to tell.

I used to be a heck of a lot better at troubleshooting these things, don't know if I've gotten rusty or tech has passed me up a bit.  Has anyone heard of any virus out there that could actually affect the MB (or BIOS) itself?

#5 TuckInTN

TuckInTN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

One more update.  Changed out the memory cards, still not the cause.  Was able to install XP on a new drive, but when I tried to install Win 7 the system shutdown on me.  So it appears to be something related to Win 7 and Win 8.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

Did you try Hamluis suggestion?

Also, forget dual booting for right now, concentrate on getting W7 to install.

As you probably know Vista/7/8 OSs are finicky about RAM. But since you changed that I will suggest you disconnect all non-essential elements. Remove any expansion cards from the MB. Disconnect any memory card readers. Now try installing W7 on a different HDD.

Let us know.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

@ Elfbane

I've not heard anything about Windows 7 or Windows 8 being finicky in regards to RAM.  The only thing that I've found to be finicky about RAM is a motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

I have not heard of any virus or malware which would cause a hard shutdown.  Usually this type of shut down is related to a bad PSU or overheating.  Let's get a little more information to see what we can determine to that end.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 TuckInTN

TuckInTN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

Tried to run Speccy from my one hard drive that is working, getting no information for any of the categories, just a line that says "RPC Server not available".  I don't think overheating is the problem, as I can run the OS that is working (sorta) for hours at a time, but trying to install Win 7 or Win 8 it shuts down within a few minutes.

As to the Hard drives themselves, tried installing Win 8 on both a new drive and the original drive that had been wiped out.  Used Wipe Drive with a 3x overwrite, did not try to rely on a simple formatting.

On last attempt to install Win 8, only things connected to MB were the new hard drive, graphics card, one dvd drive, ethernet card (built in port is dead) and front USB ports

Since I still have a good working laptop, think I'm going to take a break from this for a day or two and see if I can come back to it with a fresh mindset.

Edited by TuckInTN, 11 May 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#10 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

When it shuts off, does it shut off completely or some lights and fans remain on?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#11 TuckInTN

TuckInTN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

It was a complete shutdown.  Would be similar to what would happen if you just pressed the power button to turn it off.  Gave up on trying to figure it out, bought new CPU & motherboard, works great now.  The only thing I could think of is that something on the MB was corrupted somehow.  Still using the same hard drives, same graphics card and same memory and the thing is running great.  Installed Win 8 with no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users