Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt File Making Flash Drive Write Protected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chinex9a

chinex9a

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:14 PM

Before coming here I have tried every possible way to remove the write protection on my SanDisk Cruzer (8GB);

1- I tried removing read-only permission from the drive properties
2- I tried formatting from Windows and a Linux based environment.
3- I tried formatting from CMD using DISKPART
4- I tried editing the Registry solution (for WriteProtect word)
5- I tried the different free online tools like HP Format Tool, Kill Disk etc.

I just recently recovered a corrupt Internal HDD using CHKDSK on a mini Windows XP from the same Flash drive containing Hiren BootCD.

After a successful recovery of the files in the HDD, I started copying my Windows iso to the Flash drive and that is when the issues started, during the copying i got an error message(can't remember exactly what it was but the copy didn't finish completely). I couldn't do anything to the flash drive afterwards, it write protected itself.

While using KillDisk, which was also unsuccessful in wiping the flash drive completely, I noticed that the Windows iso I was copying had all zeroes in it's sector while the rest of the files have different hexadecimal values. 

Can the Flash drive be recovered? Is there any hope for this flash drive?

20jh1uh.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

How many times have you written to this flash drive? If the answer is like a million times then maybe it just wore out. You can only write to a flash drive a certain amount of times.

#3 chinex9a

chinex9a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:42 AM

How many times have you written to this flash drive? If the answer is like a million times then maybe it just wore out. You can only write to a flash drive a certain amount of times.

When you say how many times do you mean how many files have been written to it over since I've had it?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

Hello and Welcome

This is a known issue with Sandisk drives. Ii it detects an internal error the firmare of the drive marks it write protected. If it is in the Warranty period, return it to Sandisk.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533251/usb-write-protection/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users