Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Renable warning message when accessing config folder from system 32.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

I was trying to check whether I have the SOFTWARE, and SECURITY files in

C:\windows\system32\config

When I try to click on the config folder it displays a warning message telling me if I should go into that folder, and of course I said continue, and yes, and whatnot.  Now everytime I try to access that folder, there is no warning message anymore.  Basically, I want that warning message re-enabled.  How do I do that?

The reason why I was checking for something like that is because there is always a blue screen during a chkdsk scan with error code c0000218 with a registry file failure that involves these 2 files, so I want to check if it is missing or not.

I forgot what the warning message said, so I decided to do the same thing on my windows 8 laptop.  It basically says "you don't have permission to access this folder" with the option to continue or not.  I basically want that message to popup again when I try to access that config folder on my windows vista laptop.

If I click continue, I would have permanent access to this folder, which I probably should not have done, so I want to know how to go back to the way it was before, where when I try to access the folder, there is this popup message saying if I should have permanent access to this folder.

I checked the ownership of that folder on my windows 8 laptop, and the owner is "SYSTEM".  Does changing the ownership to "SYSTEM" re-enable that popup message when I try to access that folder?  The one on my vista laptop says that config folder belongs to "administrators".

Edited by signofzeta, 09 May 2014 - 11:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Try doing a System Restore.  Choose a restore point prior to the change you made.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

I tried doing that, and nothing happened.  I accessed that folder yesterday, and the restore point was 3 days ago, so doing a system restore did nothing.

I could still access the folder, while before, it would say that I don't have permission to access this folder, with the option to continue or to cancel.  I basically want that message back. I don't know what security ramifications there will be for having permanent access to that folder.

I basically want to know what in the registry, or somewhere else that changed so that the "you don't have permission to access this folder" dialog box does not appear every time I try to click and go into that folder.

I also want to know if being able to access this folder without that warning dialog box is a good idea or not.

Edited by signofzeta, 10 May 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows-vista/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

This has nothing to do with hidden files.

I'm pretty sure everybody has C:\windows\system32\config folder that isn't hidden, and when they double click on it, there is a dialog box that pops up that says "you don't have permission to access this folder", something like that.  You have the option to continue, which means you are taking control over that folder, or to cancel.  I clicked continue, and every time I try to access that folder, that dialog box doesn't pop up anymore.  I basically want that dialog box to pop up again, in case some outside source tries to access that folder.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Depending on how long ago you made these changes you could open the Advanced Boot Options and choose Last known good configuration.  This will load up a backup of the registry file when the computer last successfully booted into Windows.

#7 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Last known good configuration didn't work for me.  I can still access that folder like every other folder.  I don't know if it is the permissions that I must disable for my account, or if it is something else.

Have you tried accessing rhe C:\windows\system32\config folder?  There should be a dialog box saying that you don't have permission to access this folder, with the option to continue and take permanent ownership of this folder, or to cancel and back out.  Basically what happened is that I clicked on continue, and from then on, every time I open that folder, that dialog box doesn't pop up anymore.  I need to know what makes that dialog pop up.

It has something to do with permissions, but by clicking on "continue", I don't know what changed with the permissions to make me have access to that folder.  I tried replicating the setting on my windows 8 laptop, that is, the owner of that folder on my windows 8 laptop belongs to "SYSTEM", while the owner belongs to "administrators" on my vista laptop.  I changed the owner to "SYSTEM" on my vista laptop and nothing happened.  I can still access that folder without the "you don't have permission to access this folder" dialog box.

I also want to know are there any negative ramifications for being able to access this folder?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

You could always add a password so that only you can open the computer.  If others are using it make sure they have a non-administrator user account so they are limited in what they can access or change.

You may want to read the information here.

#9 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hmm, I sort of did something to deny access to that folder.

What I did was I went to that folder's properties, and went into the security tab.  I edited the permissions to that folder for the account I am currently using, and I unchecked, read + write, list folder contents, and read, and that dialog box pops back up saying that I don't have permission anymore.  I know in my windows 8 laptop, the account that I am using wasn't even listed, so I guess by clicking on continue, it just puts the account I am currently using into the "list" of users or accounts that can have access to that folder.

It's sort of weird that I can just continue and have access to that folder anyway, so isn't that dialog box sort of pointless?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

I really would suggest that you read that article.

#11 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

I just want to confirm, what was the owner of the C:\windows\system32\config folder anyway?

It was "administrators", but I changed ownership to "SYSTEM" because my windows 8 laptop has that folder owned by "SYSTEM".  What do you suggest the ownership of that folder should be?

I want to know what is:

CREATOR OWNER

TrustedInstaller

administrators

SYSTEM

when it comes to permissions, and who should own the C:\windows\system32\config folder.  The article only mentions C:\window\system32.

Edited by signofzeta, 10 May 2014 - 03:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users