Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

does a wired router have a network name?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Devices like computers and laptops have a host name on the network. What about a wired router? Can a router's hostname be seen somehow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Yes by default most have a Host name. Usually its the brand name or model of the router. For example by default my router with dd-wrt is named its IP address. I know D-Link routers are named D-Link (as well as alot of their networking equipment). The host names depending on your DNS settings may not appear in a network scan. If you are using anything other then your router or local DNS server (such as a Window server) you may not see them. You can use a program such as Advanced Ip Scanner to scan your network.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 May 2014 - 05:45 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Ok cool, I got that program and it does show the name of my router as being its IP. It shows the manufacturer, and when I press the arrow to expand the item, it shows the model name of the router.

Is there a way to change what it shows? So for example instead of saying D-Link, it could just say... 'Deathstar', or whatever?

I don't really like that it advertises what it is. If a device has a vulnerability or something, and it goes around exposing what it is, isn't that bad?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

log into the router and change the "Host" name in the configuration. You should find instructions on support.dlink.com enter your model number.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Ok I set the host name on the router, but Advanced IP Scanner still shows the name as the IP (which is fine with me), but when you click the expand arrow, it says the make and model of the router.

Is there a way to stop the router from reporting its model number? Also for example if you try to browse to the IP from a web browser, it will say it wants a user name and password and it says the router make and model

Advanced IP Scanner also shows the manufacturer of all the devices on the network.

Can these values be changed or is that just the way it is?

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

Advanced Ip scanner shows allot of information, however the normal user won't be using Advanced IP scanner. Also they need access to your LAN to get the information. The routers information and network hardware is coded into the firmware and chipset you would need to modify those to change it. To block the information you need to use a firewall. Your router firewall may have settings to block the information depending on the model. You can configure Windows firewall to block the pc information (try changing the pc local network to "public" in network and sharing and make sure the firwall is turned on) try your scan again.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 16 May 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 laszlo42

laszlo42

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Advanced IP Scanner also shows the manufacturer of all the devices on the network.

I would assume that that is based on the mac address of the device, usually you can not change that address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users