Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Totaldummy

Totaldummy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

Hello, 

I have installed Ubuntu and have nothing against it but my computer is ancient and has too little RAM. Consequently I cannot use Ubuntu but have to switch to XP at the start because otherwise it is much too slow. Today I have only been allowed to have one tab open on the internet. XP has crashed time and again today and has been slower than ever before. It happened for example if I had an email open at the same time as I tried to google. Therefore I must uninstall Ubuntu and reinstall only Windows XP for which I have the cd. Since my knowledge of all technical matters is zero I need to ask how to do this. It is impossible to ask a Ubuntu forum because when I copied and inserted the confirmation password Ubuntu sent me it was rejected as invalid. Not being given an email address to contact Ubuntu on such matters is the only negative thing I have to say about Ubuntu. I have removed most things from my screen, deleted unnecessary files on it and moved the others to my USB memory stick. My computer is much faster now. Perhaps as a result. However I believe I must remove Ubuntu and reinstall Windows XP from the CD. Thank you for helping.

Kind regards,

Edwin

Edited by hamluis, 10 May 2014 - 12:42 PM.
Moved from XP to Linux OS - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hi.

Can you please give your PC specs, Then we will see what linux is best for you.

Also you can try this.

Lubuntu. Its light weight. Download the ISO burn it to DVD and try it as a live Disk. Or install it to a 8GB usb stick.

http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1404-trusty-tahr-released

Just to amuse me try this. Just burn it to CD and boot from CD to try..

Carolina 1.2

http://smokey01.com/carolina/isos/non-pae/lina-1.2-non-pae.iso

Video not my work.

http://youtu.be/GWuLolCigwU

Also mods I think this post belongs in the Linux section.

Thanks.

Edited by NickAu1, 09 May 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#3 Totaldummy

Totaldummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

After reinstalling xp i can no longer use it. Thank goodness I still can use Ubuntu. It is a bit slower but at least I can surf with it. I shall not uninstall it and I do not dare make any changes to xp. Probably I shall throw away the cds for xp. This xp problem caused by the cd has taken me 8 hours.

#4 cooper4451

cooper4451

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Ubuntu is composed of many software packages, the majority of which are free software. Free software gives you the freedom to study, adapt/modify, and distribute it.

Ubuntu Help

Edited by cooper4451, 13 May 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

total just how much ram do you have?
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#6 Assistanceneeded

Assistanceneeded

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

This is from Totallydummy who has to use a friend's computer to access email and surf. My desktop is Compaq Evo D510 which has 756 MB of RAM if I remember rightly. On the original Operating System CD which left me with a version of XP lacking essential files  it says XP PRO. On the CD for restoring it says Compaq Restore Plus Start with this CD for restore... version 4.3 I am not aware that anything was restored but it wiped out every program I had had including Word and Excel and I cannot find Ubuntu any more. 

Edited by Assistanceneeded, 13 May 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#7 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

If you've re-installed using one of those disks it is likely that you've formatted the hard drive and wiped everything.

Can you boot into that machine at all - even if it takes a while to load.

For info, this netbook I'm using has only 1gb of ram and this 'spin' of Ubuntu for older machines runs v.smoothly - idles at 90mb.

May be of interest? I'm using the 32 bit version of the current release based on Ubuntu 12.04.4

http://lxle.net/

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Being that the OP has stated this is an older computer, perhaps Ubuntu may run faster from a Flash drive, rather than the likely slow, internal IDE one?

Normally, no matter the computer, I've found Ubuntu & other Linux OS's runs faster from a Flash drive or SD/SDHC card, attached to a USB card adapter. I use this for testing & to install from. 4GB Flash drives are often less than $5 shipped on the Newegg site.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users