Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007 opening on start-up - can't find start-up entry for it.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jgrotter

jgrotter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hello there. I'm using Vista Home Premium, service pack 2, 64 bit. I noticed the issue after a recent update, but I'm not sure it's related to that.

I may need advice on how to track down a program that's starting Outlook: Outlook 2007 has started running automatically on log in, minimized in the start tray.

I can't find an entry for Outlook or "mail" in any of the following:

All Programs > Startup (this is completely empty)

msconfig > Startup (no entry for Outlook, enable or disabled)

msconfig > Services

regedit:

> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce]
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit]
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce]
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
Task Scheduler

I'm running AVG, unable to find anything regarding starting Outlook there. I have run Hijackthis and WinPatrol and can only find a single entry for "Outlook" when it's already running. I've opened "Task Manager", and when Outlook has started found the "Process" for it, but right-clicking and selecting "Go to Service(s)" takes me to the "Services" tab with nothing highlighted. I'm not using Windows Defender. Not sure what else might be relevant, but at this point, I'm fairly certain something else is starting Outlook.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hello and Welcome,

You have pretty much covered all the startup locations. One additional place to look would be Task Scheduler. Look at the scheduler in all of your accounts.

Click the globe and in the search box type Task Scheduler. Look for any reference to Office or Outlook.

#3 jgrotter

jgrotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hello and Welcome,

You have pretty much covered all the startup locations. One additional place to look would be Task Scheduler. Look at the scheduler in all of your accounts.

Click the globe and in the search box type Task Scheduler. Look for any reference to Office or Outlook.

Thanks for responding. 

Yeah, I tried Task Scheduler - no references in name or actions regarding Outlook.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

Interesting, you might want to look at the Event Viewer and see if that gives you any clues.

Edit: You might also find something using the utility AutoRuns and search for anything related to Outlook.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 May 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#5 jgrotter

jgrotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Interesting, you might want to look at the Event Viewer and see if that gives you any clues.

Edit: You might also find something using the utility AutoRuns and search for anything related to Outlook.

Thanks again. I'll try Event Viewer (and have looked a little), but not real sure what I'm looking for there when I wade through the entries. On first glance, nothing popped out at me.

I'll look at AutoRuns - hopefully it checks/finds more than what HijackThis and WinPatrol check. Will reply soon.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

When you look through Autoruns, see if there are any .bat or vbs file in startup.

#7 jgrotter

jgrotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Searching through "AutoRuns" hasn't shed much light for me.

Under "Everything" there's nothing referencing "Outlook" and the two entries referencing "Mail" (specifically "winmail.exe") are under "Installed Components."

Scheduled Tasks does have a VBS file (two of them) that were run in 2008: gatherWiredInfo.vbs and gatherWirelessInfo.vbs. Access to them is denied for deleting or renaming. Nothing inside references mail or sending information anywhere.

Nothing else of note that I can find.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Is there anything in this folder?  C\Users\"your username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Could also be in any other user account. I am wondering if anything in the startup folder has a hidden and or system attribute. I would go into options and allow System Files and Hidden files to be shown.

Sorry, other than the above and to double check everything in Task Scheduler, I am out of ideas on this. Hopefully somebody on the forum can add their thoughts.

#9 jgrotter

jgrotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

Is there anything in this folder?  C\Users\"your username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Could also be in any other user account. I am wondering if anything in the startup folder has a hidden and or system attribute. I would go into options and allow System Files and Hidden files to be shown.

Sorry, other than the above and to double check everything in Task Scheduler, I am out of ideas on this. Hopefully somebody on the forum can add their thoughts.

Just "Desktop.ini" in those (two) User/Startup folders you described. Thanks for your time and effort, John - I do appreciate it.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

No Problem. This is kind of crazy. I don't know if this utility is any better than autoruns but maybe it's worth a try. I will still do some research and post back if I find anything.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 May 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#11 jgrotter

jgrotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:58 AM

Update on this - still having the issue.

I haven't found anything new with web searching. I don't have a lot of startup applications, but disabled a handful and found no change. Went as far as uninstalling AVG and installing MS SE instead. No change: Outlook pops up, minimized, in the system tray as soon as all the other startup apps are finished.

So, now I have Security Essentials & Windows Defender running.

I have the following apps starting up in MSConfig:
ATK Hotkey
ATKOSD2
Direct Console 2.0 (Asus laptop)
MS ehTray
MS Security Client
MS Sidebar
PS121v2 (print server)
razerhid App (gaming keypad)
Realtek HD Audio Manager
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (Mousepad)

None of those had any pointing/options for mail or Outlook. On a hunch, I changed the file, "Outlook.exe" to "Outlookexe.Bak" hoping for an error message, and I got one: Direct Console threw a runtime close error. I'm looking into this further, and still haven't solved it - but it's a direction. (I haven't made any changes/updates to Direct Console, so I'm not sure why this has started giving me headaches.)

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Is there anything in Task Scheduler like a Calendar program?

This isn't a Sony computer is it?

In msconfig I would uncheck each item one by one and reboot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#13 jgrotter

jgrotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

The program that's starting Outlook is definitely Asus' "Direct Console" - so the problem is with that (disabling it from startup does the trick, and starting it manually also opens Outlook.)

I have no solution, though - there isn't an option inside 'Direct Console' that stops it from happening. I have the current version, so it's not that. 

I've checked through forums on this issue, including Asus forums, to no avail. If anyone has read here and knows what to do to keep it from doing this, that'd be helpful.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Well, I guess it isn't a Sony after seeing your post #11 again. :-(

From what I have found Direct Console includes Direct Messenger and Direct Flash. It's Direct Messenger that hooks into Outlook. It can be disabled. See pages 33 and 34 here. It's for a G1 but it may be similar to you what you have,

#15 jgrotter

jgrotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

Well, I guess it isn't a Sony after seeing your post #11 again. :-(

From what I have found Direct Console includes Direct Messenger and Direct Flash. It's Direct Messenger that hooks into Outlook. It can be disabled. See pages 33 and 34 here. It's for a G1 but it may be similar to you what you have,

Asus G50V, with Direct Console 2.0.5 - not exactly the same as what you show with Direct Messenger & Direct Flash, but close. It does hook into messaging services - there's a radio button for mail, for example, and an Outlook.dll file inside the Direct Console folder - however, the radio button is not selected. Selecting it/rebooting, then deselecting/rebooting does nothing to change it's actions. I can't find anything in the registry relating to DC/Outlook. I'm assuming it's bundled somewhere inside either the DC sys or ini files, but I'm not certain I can edit those (??).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users