Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

+Lost Ethernet Controller -- HELP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SonMob

SonMob

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

I just loaded Window 7 on an older Dell Desktop Dimension 4500 and lost my Ethernet controller.

I hooked up an external wireless and updated everything and searched for new drivers, but nothing helped the Ethernet controller problem.

I am about to go to Wal-Mart and buy an adapter with a usb connection for the Ethernet.

SO, does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this.  I have searched many hours looking  for a fix but haven't found the right one yet.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thank You..........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Hello, and Welcome

In Device Manager there should be a yellow exclamation mark next to Network Adapters. Right click, select properties and under the Details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the results in your next post.

Is Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

PCI-id.PNG

#3 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:53 AM

no win7 drivers available for that model your usb connection is the best option.

also memory capacity may be a problem to run win7 on the pc..as its max out at one gig

according to the manual

#4 SonMob

SonMob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

no win7 drivers available for that model your usb connection is the best option.

also memory capacity may be a problem to run win7 on the pc..as its max out at one gig

according to the manual

Thanks,

I bought an Ethernet / USB adapter and installed it and was able to use the Ethernet cable.

Everything else that I tried failed and this was a quick cheap fix.  $7.99 on eBay.

Yes, I have a 1GB memory and 40GB hard drive.  I have set this computer up to use only with my business software and will only connect for updates, etc.

Windows 7 seems to run OK, faster than XP was and I now have IE 11.

So, looks like all ended up well.

Thanks for all of those who took the time to advise me.

This forum is a real blessing to all of us.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the update. I bought one of those USB Ethernet adaptors awhile ago on Ebay and it worked fine. Those are definitely the way to go if the Ethernet fails or no drivers are available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users