Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could not print Excel spreadsheet - why?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

System: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1, 64 bit
Laptop: ASUS K52F-BBR9
Printer: HP Deskjet 3000 J310

I solved a problem with an Excel spreadsheet that would not print, but have no idea why my solution worked. Perhaps someone can explain?

Problem:  I had to print 2 Word documents and 1 Excel document. The Word documents printed fine. The Excel document would not print. 

Symptoms:
(1) I had configured the HP Deskjet printer preferences "Paper/Quality" for "Plain Paper, Fast Draft Quality". 
(2) The document showed up in the print queue for the HP Deskjet but it never printed. 
(3) I opened the Excel document, clicked on Print. Under "Printer", the HP Deskjet was listed.
(4) In the Excel Print screen, clicked on "Printer Properties". The "Media" drop down list showed "Normal Quality", not "Fast Draft Quality". This led me to believe that although the document appears to show the correct printer, for some reason it was not communicating properly with the printer. The drop down list should have displayed "Fast Draft Quality" like it usually does.
(5) I stopped the print spooler, ensured there were no files in the Spool\Print folder, started the spooler. Problem still existed.
(6) I rebooted the computer twice. Problem still existed.
(7) I opened an empty Excel document, copied the contents of the Excel document that would not print to the new document, then saved the new document with a new name. I was able to successfully print the new document.

Any idea why item #7 fixed the problem?

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2016 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Bus Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

I don't see any point where you define the print area of the spreadsheet. The new sheet had a default definition which may have been the difference.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

Hi,

I don't see any point where you define the print area of the spreadsheet. The new sheet had a default definition which may have been the difference.

Keep us posted

I checked and the print area in both the original and new documents was the same - the default.

I think the clue to what went wrong is in my item #4 above. My preference settings for the printer are for black ink only and fast draft quality. When a document of any type is opened (Word, Excel, jpg, etc.) and the printer preferences are checked within the document print screen, the preferences shown should be the preferences that were set for the printer. But for this Excel document, that was not the case. Don't know what this is telling us.

#4 ChrisMadden

ChrisMadden

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

I've had a similar problem with a file not printing, everything in Excel acts as it should after hitting print, the file even shows up in the printer's queue then disappears. The lights on the printer don't even flicker so I assume there wasn't even any data transferring.

So using trial and error I tried to see where the problem was occurring (the file/excel/pc/printer..)

- Opened a completely different XL file, hit print, printed fine. (Excel, pc, printer all happy)

- Went back to the non-printing file, saved under a new name, hit print, still nothing.

- Copied and pasted the contents into a new worksheet, prints fine. 

- Compared the file format, page setup, printing preferences etc. of the two files, no difference.

- Opened non-printing file on another computer - printed fine. (lightning strikes dun Dun DUNNNNN!!)

- Back on original PC, sent non-printing file to another printer, printed fine.

So now I know that the file isn't corrupted but there is something the printer doesn't like about it, perhaps they have a history? (The file has printed on this printer many times in the past before suddenly stopping, I've had similar experiences with women).

I cleared out the printer spool to make sure there were no residual failed print jobs that may be confusing the printer and tried again. No luck.

My conclusion: gremlins.

#5 gnextresource

gnextresource

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

It's a beautiful day,

having surf the net all day to solve the problem of spreadsheet not printing. i finallly discovered what works....

Steps

1. Open the type spreadsheet document

2. Save it a copy of it as XPS document type

3. Open the saved document from the location where you have saved it

4. finallly press the "ctrl P"

5. then Select preferred printer name

6. Select print.

it worked very fine ! 

#6 bosnip67

bosnip67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

I have a problem printing from Excel (Office 2010). Am still running XP with SP3. I can print from ALL office programs but not Excel. It was printing ok but now it won't. I have not installed any new hardware. Have checked Printers & faxes and nothing in the que. The only other printer I have is an HP Pro B8300 but is not connected at the moment (just moved house and still sorting the computer setup so no room for the printer at present). Removed the printer driver and re-installed, still no print. It tells me no printers are installed and if I select to Add Printer it tells me the directory service is unavailable.  I un-installed office and re-installed and have exactly the same problem, all other office programs print apart from Excel. Anyone have an answer to this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users