Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home router control to isolate user address

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mnwinclod

mnwinclod

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Hi,

I have the Netgear WNDr3700 router with four wireless users.  Things seem to work fine until my son's laptop is logged on, then everyone slows to a crawl.  I've checked some his settings (limited knowledge in that area), no change.

I have Admin control for the router, but I don't know how check his address when he logs on.  Is it possible that we're overtaxing the

router?  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

Sounds like he is running torrents, or otherwise hogging the internet.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Barring some thing more out of the ordinary, I can think of two "obvious" possible reasons.

The first is basically what the other poster mentioned…your son is eating up a large amount of the throughput of your Internet connection…or he just tips tips things over the edge in terms of throughput use when combined with what everyone else is using without using too much himself. What kind of Internet connection do you have? DSL? Cable? Fiber? In theory, what throughput (aka "speed") do your Internet connection have?

The second possibility is that your son's computer only has an 802.11g WiFi card, while everyone else has 802.11n cards that only use the 2.4 GHz range. If so, then the network will automatically shift to the lowest common denominator…aka 802.11g speeds. That in and of itself should not do it as an 802.11g connection should still be able to maintain 20 to 30 Mbps (it is not possible to get the full 54 Mbps theoretical throughput of an 802.11g connection in the real world without going to things like MIMO). So, this would have to be combined with a lot of the devices being at the far end of the 802.11g signal range, which would mean lower overall throughput (how "fast" a WiFi connection is will also be a function of how far away from the WiFi access point/router you are as well as things that might block/reduce the signal).

#4 mnwinclod

mnwinclod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Thanks bludshot and smax013,

We have a cable modem.  Wired Desktop speed tests around 30Mbps consistantly.  My son has done the torrent download, which has a obvious effect.  However,

it seems as if when his laptop is opened the network starts to slow.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

Worth a try is using the dual band capability of your Netgear Router according to router specifications.

Tekken

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Torrents go both ways.  Even though your son has finished with his download he is probably also sharing his download now.

If you connect to your router and check out the DHCP addresses you can find his machine.

This code will ping all the addresses on a 192.168.1.x network and store the results in C:\IPAddresses.txt.  You can change the 192.168.1 if your network is different, say 10.10.10.x

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -n 1 192.168.1.%i | FIND /i "Reply">>c:\IPAddresses.txt

Depending on your opinion of torrents you can turn off UPnP on the router and that should stop that traffic as you will need to manually open the required ports.

#7 mnwinclod

mnwinclod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Thanks Rkilroy, I'll give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users