Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinserted ram, computer doesnt even start now

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnpennington

johnpennington

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

my luck keeps getting better.

i took out my two 1 gb sticks of ram and reinserted them a few times. when i tried again, my computer wouldnt power on WHATSOEVER. im guessing it was static shock that ruined it? can i buy a new stick of ram or is the motherboard fried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

What does the computer do?

Are there any beeps or anything?

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Double check that the ram is all the way in and straight (sometimes you have to push pretty hard). Pull out the ram and try 1 stick in 1 slot. Move it to the next slot and try again. Try the other stick in 1 slot.

My guess is that you have a bad power supply. Using the paperclip trick will force the psu on but doesn't mean it is working correctly. There are different rails with different voltages that all must be precise for the computer to operate correctly.

Edited by zingo156, 09 May 2014 - 03:05 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

You have 2 threads here as well. Try to keep this to 1. The information from the other post will likely be very useful: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533786/compaq-presario-died-why/

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 johnpennington

johnpennington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Double check that the ram is all the way in and straight (sometimes you have to push pretty hard). Pull out the ram and try 1 stick in 1 slot. Move it to the next slot and try again. Try the other stick in 1 slot.

My guess is that you have a bad power supply. Using the paperclip trick will force the psu on but doesn't mean it is working correctly. There are different rails with different voltages that all must be precise for the computer to operate correctly.

but after taking out the ram and putting it in a few times, the computer doesnt start at all. no beeps, no light, nothing. COMPLETELY unresponsive. The only thing that stays lit is the led on the power supply. is it the power supply that is now making it unable to start altogether because it stopped starting up altogether when i was fiddling with the two ram sticks. did i accidentally static-shock the ram sticks?

Edited by johnpennington, 09 May 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Many things are possible with a static discharge.  Without any RAM, the unit should at least give a beep code.  (if you have a speaker)  If no beeps and no display flash (indicates the video has started.  Close inspection is called for.  Look for cracked or broken plastic frame around the RAM connectors.  Some have clips that will engage when the RAM sticks are properly mounted, a broken one of those could prevent a good connection.  Strange, more to this than appears, suspect CPU or power supply.  Part swapping could resolve the fault.

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

Sounds like you knocked the power supply wire loose from the motherboard.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

It may be the power supply, if you have a spare test with that... Sometimes unplugging a power supply can cause it to no longer function. In the retail world I can not count the number of times people would bring in an old "working computer" that after being unplugged and sitting for a short time would not power on again until replacing the power supply. There are capacitors in them that simply wear out. I would suggest trying a different power supply.

I have never seen a static shock take out computer hardware after nearly 20 years of building them. If you left the computer plugged into the wall and pulled out the ram at an angle, maybe some circuits shorted but it seems highly unlikely.

Have you checked for bad capacitors on the motherboard/video cards etc?

Look for blown or bulging caps while you have the case open: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&client=firefox-a&hs=sp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CQ5tU9S1FYOpyATMw4GYDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

If you have blown or bulging caps, it is probably time to repalce the machine.

If you take a picture of the motherboard I can tell you if you have bad capacitors, these can cause no posts, instability, and power on problems.

Edited by zingo156, 12 May 2014 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users