Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario Died. Why?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 johnpennington

johnpennington

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

I have a Compaq Presario Desktop PC that I've been using for about 8 years now. I haven't felt the need to buy a new computer because I have a newer laptop. I'm a novice with computer hardware so please speak in basic enough terms for me to understand.

I have a compaq presario desktop pc that has died. For over a month, the computer has been making a very loud and worrysome humming noise. The other day, I guess the computer finally went? I'm not sure, because when I booted up the computer, the power light on the power button didn't light up and nothing came up on the screen. Though, I heard fans running rather loudly inside the computer.

I took out the power supply unit and administered the green wire test. After putting the paperclip into the green and black wires, I plugged the power cable back in and the fan was spinning. So I know that the power supply unit isn't dead. Could the power supply still be the issue? Could it be the motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

It could still be the power supply. The humming noise is likely a failing fan. I would recommend re-seating all addin cards, pci, ram etc. and then trying to power it on again. If that fails disconnect all non essential devices from the mainboard and power: hard drives, disc drives, pci cards etc and power on with the essentials, cpu, cpu cooler, ram, mainboard.

Look for blown or bulging caps while you have the case open: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&client=firefox-a&hs=sp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CQ5tU9S1FYOpyATMw4GYDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

If you have blown or bulging caps, it is probably time to repalce the machine.

Edited by zingo156, 09 May 2014 - 03:00 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 johnpennington

johnpennington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

ive unplugged mostly everything except the heatsink and psu. i unplugged the hard drive, optical drive, and took out the ram. no beeps and the same problem persists when i press the power button on the computer, the power button doesnt light up, the fans run loudly, and nothing comes up on the monitor. i did the paperclip test on the power supply and the fans spun. i read online that that doesnt necessarily mean the power supply is fully functional. Ive ordered this power supply tester ---> http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/Fg4AAOxyVaBS50Zr/$_57.JPG

And it seems pretty basic so im going to try and test the 20 pin connector. Im just praying I find a problem with the PSU, and not the motherboard. Ive had the computer since December 2007 and it has an old PSU (20 pin connector rather than 24, and the PSU has no power switch on the back so I know its old.) Im not very knowledgeable on internal hardware but to me it seems more plasuabile that the buzzing is something motherboard-related rather than PSU. What do you think? In the mean time, Ill be waiting for the PSU tester and praying its the PSU.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

I do not generally trust psu testers any more unless they are the type that puts a load on the psu, they are however good at catching obvious voltage problems.

Assuming there is a mainboard speaker attached, you should have a post fault beep code with no ram installed.

Have you tried re-setting the cmos? With the computer unplugged from the wall, push the power button 1 time (this will drain most of the remaining power from the psu capacitors), remove the button battery from the motherboard and leave it out for 10 seconds. Put the battery back in and then plug the machine back in. Power the computer on and see if anything has changed. You could also use the cmos jumper to reset the bios if you can find it on the board.

Also as mentioned a few times: Look for blown or bulging caps while you have the case open: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&client=firefox-a&hs=sp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CQ5tU9S1FYOpyATMw4GYDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

Blown or bulging capacitors is the #1 reason for mainboard problems on older machines.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 johnpennington

johnpennington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10312354_10200923892018667_73210087210105719_n.jpg

i took this picture of the inside of my computer. i dont believe i have any blown caps. and ive tried resetting the cmos. took the battery out for 30 mins and put it back in. still same problem.  i found the cmos jumper and moved the caps from 1-2 to 2-3 and then moved them back, still nothing changed.

the heatsink fan oddly enough makes a loud, ruddering sound. even when i spin the blade with my finger, it makes a dull sound . when the computer is on, that sound is amplified.

is a PSU issue unlikely since the fans spin and the system doesnt shut down by itself?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

From the picture, you may have some bad caps between the 2 fans, if the heatsync fan (cpu fan) is making a loud noise, the bearings are probably bad on the fan, this can cause overheating if the fan can not run at full rpm.

Can you take a closer picture of the caps between the 2 fans near the heat sync? These are the most likely caps to go since they are exposed to heat more than the others.

The PSU could still be the issue.

Edited by zingo156, 12 May 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

I was going to ask for a bigger picture of that area as those are the most common to fail capacitors. They are the ones that filter the power for the CPU as I remember it. Thus they are critical and they can take a beating from heat if the CPU heat sink gets clogged or the fan is going bad.

It sounds as if the CPU fan is running with Dry bearings. Spinning a fan like that with Your finger should be silent.

It sounds to me as if zingo156 has hit the nail on the head with his diagnosis.

Also the reason Zingo says that the power supply could still be the problem is that there are multiple voltages that come out of it and it only takes the loss of one to stop the computer from working.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 12 May 2014 - 02:58 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 johnpennington

johnpennington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10277688_10200924140944890_9160730169641873946_n.jpg

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

From that picture the caps do appear to be fine.

One question: Did you remove the modem from the pci slot while doing tests before? A bad modem could cause a no post (along with any other hardware).

If I had the computer in the shop the first thing I would do would be try a psu that I knew worked. When you get the psu tester, hopefully it shows an obvious flaw.

If it does not: I would still try with a different psu. If a different psu changes nothing and you still get no post fault beep code with no ram installed, my guess would be you have a bad motherboard or cpu.

In my years of tech work, I have only seen a handfull of dead cpu's and a large number of bad motherboards. My money would be on the motherboard if a different psu changed nothing.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

I concur with zingo, they look fine. Thank You for the larger picture. I also agree with the suggestion to pull the modem. Most likely You are not using a dial up modem these days. I do remember a dead Dell. It turned out to be the modem so it can happen. Luckily I had the exact same make and model in the back room so I didn't even have to play with drivers. Easy fix, the best kind. I felt bad for the owner, she had called Dell and they diagnosed a bad motherboard and sold her one.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S.

If I had the computer in the shop the first thing I would do would be try a psu that I knew worked.

So true I used to keep several used known good Power supplies behind the work bench on a shelf for testing along with IDE and SATA DVD drives, Video cards (PCI,AGP and PCIe).

Edited by rotor123, 12 May 2014 - 03:21 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 johnpennington

johnpennington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

From that picture the caps do appear to be fine.

One question: Did you remove the modem from the pci slot while doing tests before? A bad modem could cause a no post (along with any other hardware).

If I had the computer in the shop the first thing I would do would be try a psu that I knew worked. When you get the psu tester, hopefully it shows an obvious flaw.

If it does not: I would still try with a different psu. If a different psu changes nothing and you still get no post fault beep code with no ram installed, my guess would be you have a bad motherboard or cpu.

In my years of tech work, I have only seen a handfull of dead cpu's and a large number of bad motherboards. My money would be on the motherboard if a different psu changed nothing.

yes. well, i removed the pci seperately i think. i removed that when everything else inside the computer was plugged in. i have a cable modem but its hooked up seperate from the computer. the only thing with internet plugged in the computer was the ethernet cable, which ive kept unplugged since this problem came about.

can you or rotor tell me what i should do about the potential dry bearings? to reiterate, the last couple months the computer was working, it was making a loud humming/buzzing/rudder sound. for some reason, after the computer died and ive been experimenting with it, when i lay the computer down and turn it on thats when i REALLY hear that dull sound. when the computer is stood up and i turn it on, i dont really hear it. odd.

if it helps, i could post a video later tonight to show how it sounds when i spin it with my finger and how it sounds when it powers on

Edited by johnpennington, 12 May 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#12 johnpennington

johnpennington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

I concur with zingo, they look fine. Thank You for the larger picture. I also agree with the suggestion to pull the modem. Most likely You are not using a dial up modem these days. I do remember a dead Dell. It turned out to be the modem so it can happen. Luckily I had the exact same make and model in the back room so I didn't even have to play with drivers. Easy fix, the best kind. I felt bad for the owner, she had called Dell and they diagnosed a bad motherboard and sold her one.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S.

If I had the computer in the shop the first thing I would do would be try a psu that I knew worked.

So true I used to keep several used known good Power supplies behind the work bench on a shelf for testing along with IDE and SATA DVD drives, Video cards (PCI,AGP and PCIe).

yeah unfortauntely id have to by a new one to try. i found one for a decent price online, hopefully it doesnt sell out. but i dont think i have any old computers (possibly in the basement, its been years, not sure if i still have it) and i dont have any spare psu's. hoping the psu tester shows somthing faulty in the psu.

i know one step at a time, but this wouldn't solve the fan humming/buzzing, would it? if it makes a dull sound when i spin it with my finger, would some type of oil or something help it? (i will do this step if i get the computer to boot, when i receive the power supply tester in the mail and run some tests)

Edited by johnpennington, 12 May 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

I would not worry about or spend any money on the noise until I had the computer working again. Then we can make suggestions.

However If the fan is secured to the heatsink with screws and easily removed it could be lubed with 20 weight 3 in 1. The Bearing is underneath the fan as it is mounted. If You decide to try that bear in mind that You do not want to disturb the heatsink itself. That just leads to another thing that needs to be done. That is why I suggest waiting until You find the problem and get video once again.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 johnpennington

johnpennington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

ok i see. i just didnt know if one problem caused the other. i didnt know if the failing fan caused the cpu to overheat/fry.

while im waiting for the power supply tester in the mail, should i attempt to clean the cpu and pust new thermal paste on?

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

As rotor said, I would figure out what was wrong before throwing much if any money at it. If you had a used power supply that would be a good test. I wouldn't recommend buying a new one until you knew this was the problem.

You could attempt to clean the cpu and put new thermal paste on but I personally would wait to do this until the problem is known. After a chip sits for years that paste can get pretty solid and sticky, the processors can be very tricky to get out without damaging them.

As for the fan, double check that no wires are hitting the blades this happens and causes sounds. If it is the bearings in the fan, you can oil them but you are better off just replacing the fan, generally the fans can be replaced without replacing the heat sync and it wouldn't cost much for a new one.

By the way when fans wear out the bearings start to have problems holding the fan blade in place, this allows more movement from the blade, when you lay the computer flat, gravity pulls on the blade and it may be close enough to the cooling fins of the heatsync to make contact which would cause it to make a grinding noise when flat more so than when standing. This is a good indication that the fan should be replaced. Too much play indicates bad bearings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users