Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop powersdown by itself...now won't bootup (2issues)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 smclynn

smclynn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393.
Oct. 2013 I sent computer to repair through Costco's concierge svc. They chgd hardrive and sent it back. Trouble still existed, so I returned it. They claim they never saw the trouble. Warranty is over now. It has gotten worse.

I am unable to get comp. To start up now. Starting widows comes up then jumps to blue screen says; A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is 1st time seeing this then restart your comp.
Check for viruses
Remove any newly installed hard drives (computer just shut down)
Now windows recovery came up. It is ruining startup repair.... says it cannot repair is comp automatically.
Startup repair has tried several times but cannot determine the cause of the problem.
There is a system recovery option there.
Back on to blue screen says run chkdsk /f to chk for HD corruption. I can't run anything...
Tech inf on
Stop 0x0000007b. (0xffff880009a9928, 0xffffffffc0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
PS using tablet to write this
Running Windows 7 home prem, Intel core I7 2760 QM CPU, 2.2 GHz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

The bug check points toward your hard drive or a possible issue with windows. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559218%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

There was a known issue with early gen 1 sandy bridge chipsets and sata controllers. I am researching your model to see if it was one of them with the cougar chipset.

You can run a hard drive diagnostic tool such as MHDD to test the drive. Or go into your bios by tapping F1 or F2 after powering on and see what sata devices are listed. You should see a disc drive and a hard drive. If you see no hard drive, either the drive has failed, has a bad connection or the mainboard has a problem.

One thing you can try is to tap F8 after booting the computer to get to the boot menu options and select "last known good configuration" see if it boots... You could also try safe mode from the same menu if last known good does not work. If you can get into safe mode run a chkdsk: Type: Chkdsk /f /r   in a command prompt and hit enter.

I will say after being in the retail world I learned toshiba drives were not reliable. I saw more failed toshiba drives than any other brand. All hard drives fail so it is wise to have backup in place. 

Edited by zingo156, 09 May 2014 - 12:29 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Your model does not appear to be affected by the Cougar Point chipset problem. This would lead me to believe it is either your hard drive or a windows problem. I would recommend running a hardware diagnostic to check the HDD. The instructions are below, they are a bit long but it really is pretty easy to do. Let me know the results at the end of the test. You can take a picture with your phone or a camera, that might be the easiest way. Or just let me know if there were any bad blocks or slow blocks and how many etc.

Before running this test it would be a good idea to backup any data that you cannot afford to lose. This test uses the hard drive at 100%. If the drive is failing or has problems it is possible for the drive to fail suddenly especially during heavy use as this test will do. It is unlikely but still I recommend backing files up to be safe. Here are the instructions to run the test:

The first step will be to burn MHDD to a disc as an image (cd preferably). MHDD Can be found here: http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/  Click the Last version of MHDD, CDROM iso-image download and burn this file directly to a disc.

TO CHANGE SATA OPERATION: (You may need to use your keyboard arrow keys and enter key if you can not click to change settings).

After burning the disc, restart the laptop and start tapping f2 or f1 or delete right away to get into the bios. There you should see System Configuration, expand that by clicking the + button (or using your arrow keys and enter key). In that list there should be something called Sata operation. (Sata Operation may also be by itself in that first screen list)

Click on sata operation and take note of the current setting to the right it will probably be set to AHCI it will need to be switched back to this after MHDD is done running. Select ATA, compatibility or ide mode and then click apply. Save and exit the bios, or if apply was the only option you can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

COMMON BOOT MENU/BIOS keys: https://support.fixmestick.com/hc/en-us/articles/201577043-How-to-get-to-your-Boot-Menu-or-your-BIOS-settings

Now with the burned disc in the drive after a restart, start tapping (F12 Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo), (F9 HP), or (Esc HP, Samsung, Sony) on the keyboard (or change your boot options to boot to cd/dvd first). This will bring up the boot options menu. Select cd/dvd/cd-rw drive and hit enter.

If this worked correctly and booted to mhdd you should see a screen that says Microsoft windows 98 startup menu. You can let the timer run out or just hit enter on option (2 . Start computer without SCSI support).

Now you should see a screen with numbers, most of these will not have any device listed behind them but one number should for example on my dell computer number 6 has WDC WD1600BEVT-75A23T0… and at the end a number in white which is the size of the drive.

Example: If your drive is a 500gb I would expect that number in white to be somewhere around 500,107,862,016 or close to. Find the correct drive to test then on the keyboard type the number in front of the drive (in my case it was 6) and then hit enter.

Now you should have a screen with MHDD> and a blinking cursor.

Now hit F4 on the keyboard 2 times and this will start scanning the hard drive.

You should be able to see the computer start scanning, each block represents 255 sectors (130560 bytes) on the hard drive. What we are looking for will show up on the right side of the screen.

There is a list on the right which shows numbers:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Etc…

Anything below the <150ms is a slow sector or a problem sector. Slow sectors <500 or >500 will slow down the computer. If there are a lot of these one after another (several 1000 or more) the drive should probably be replaced. Also if you have any at the end that were marked as UNC this means the drive has uncorrectable errors and the hard drive should probably be replaced.

Basically if you have any sectors that are below <150 (green) let me know and if possible the total number of them.

If all of the sectors were ok and fell within the range of:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Then the hard drive is ok, if there are only a few that are slow <500 or >500 the hard drive should be ok to use.

NOTE: that if there are many slow sectors one after another or you start having error after error the drive is in bad shape and I recommend ending the test. To end the test hit the Esc key.

After you are done testing you will need to go back into the bios by restarting the computer and tapping F2, F1, Delete (or whatever key gets you into bios). Go back to Sata Operation and change it back to the default which probably was AHCI.

Then restart and the computer should boot again.

(If you are getting a blue screen and the computer restarts go back into the bios and confirm that Sata Operation is set to what it was before changing it to IDE, ATA, or compatibility).

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 smclynn

smclynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hi BC
Thanks for looking into this
I tried to run last known good config. Nothing
Tried safe mode Nothing
I will try to find a computer with DVD to burn in the hard drive check program link you gave.
I am on a tablet now. It has a 16 GB micro chip ..would that work?
If so I need a little help getting it to the comp.
Thanks
Steve

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

If you get a micro sd to usb adapter and the computer boots to usb you might be able to boot from it. I would recommend burning the disc as creating a usb bootable takes a bit of work and you would need to format the 16gb micro sd card first.

#6 smclynn

smclynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

I did get the disk done, the results are:
Drive is 1,465,149,168
<3 ms- 5327013
<10 ms- 418494
<50 ms. 277
All else clear
Took 2.5 hrs.
Said 100%
Changed back to ahci
Restart same - startup repair and unable fix automatically.
Repair details showed last good start 5/7/14 2:33 pgmt
With 41 repair attempts.?..

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

It seems your hard drive is fine. It would be worth running a memtest86 to test your ram as well. This test takes a while, I recommend at least 3 passes, more is better but 3 should be enough.

Burn this directly to a disc: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) boot to the disc and let it run. If you have no errors on memtest86 my guess is that something caused an issue in windows: a windows update, virus, etc...

Do you have a windows disc? If so you could get to command prompt by using these instrucitons: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/682-command-prompt-startup.html

If you can get to the factory restore partition sometimes there is a command prompt option there. If you do not have a backup of your data done already, do not do a system factory restore.

If you can get to command prompt, type cd C:\ and then type Chkdsk /f /r

From your recovery options menu you could also try a restore point. Restore to a date when the computer was running normally. NOTE: restore points are different than factory restore. Restore points will only change programs installed not data.

Factory restore will return the computer to "out of box condition" you may lose all data.

Edited by zingo156, 14 May 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

I forgot to mention, to get to your recovery options, when booting the computer tap F8, when you get to the boot options menu, select "repair computer" this should boot to the factory recovery system if it is available, then click on command prompt, you could also do a restore point from that menu.

#9 smclynn

smclynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

OK went through the whole thing.
Restore comes back w/ local disc C system
You must always restore drive with Windows restoring other drives is optional ????
Status you must enable system protection on this drive.

Then went to command prompt
X:\sources\recovery\tools>
CD c:\ won't change dir.
Then did windows memory diag... comp stopped running.
Memtest86 ..results pass complete no errors...
CPU step around 60 for three. tests no errors.
Ran test in sfe mode...no error. ?????

#10 smclynn

smclynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

I have disks s new hard drive was installed in Nov 13 under ext warranty. I do not have much data
On comp since then.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

If you can backup data and then reload the OS I believe this would be the fastest solution. Repairing windows can be time consuming and often after you fix 1 problem another appears. This would be my recommendation. It is still possible to have a hardware related issue but at the moment this seems unlikely.

#12 smclynn

smclynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Zingo
Thanks for the help!
I put the first disk in and back to a fresh start for me. It must have been an update that went wild. So far it has not powered down by itself. Again Thanks, Steve

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

Glad to help, happy computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users