Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Personal Data Of 26.5 Million Veterans Stolen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

From the NYTimes:

Personal electronic data on up to 26.5 million military veterans, including their Social Security numbers and birth dates, was stolen from the home of a Department of Veterans Affairs employee who had taken the information without authorization, the agency said today.

It is not known whether the information has been misused or not, or whether the thieves understand what they have, but this could be the largest identity thefts in history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/22/washingt...=rssnyt&emc=rss

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Security Geek

Security Geek

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

I really wish both private and public organizations would start implementing strong encryption. If I hear about one more laptop or set of backup tapes going missing with millions of credit card or social security numbers I think I'm going to heave. NIST.org gets a lot of CIO / CISO visitors, I keep hoping they'll pay attention.

Let them have the damn laptop, but protect the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users