Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have ruined my PC please Help.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jorel53

jorel53

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

Hey guys,

First post here.

My problem. I have a PC running Windows XP, and it has been fine for so very long.

Today, I decided to Partition my HDD, and then Install a newer version of Windows (7 Server) on the seperate partition.

I did so with success.

But then I realised that the OS was a bit slow, due to lack of RAM I guess. So I decided to Delete the Partition with Windows 7 on it.

Upon restarting my PC, I was met with a message in order for me to pick which OS to load.

1 Older OS (XP) (I renamed this to Windows XP using BCD in the next step btw.)

2. 7

As Partition with 7 was gone I just continued with XP.

But me being the impatient person decided that the option to boot to 7 at boot up was going to be too time consuming. (The act to select xp and hit enter)

So I looked for solutions online on how to remove 7 from the boot menu.  Most were saying go to Boot.Ini and remove the entry for 7, but it never showed up there. So I downloaded this BCD utility and lo and behold it actually managed to 'see' the 7 boot option. I clicked it and hit delete, restarted.

But then the Boot Select screen showed up again. This time though, it only showed Windows 7, not XP anymore. And obviously I can't run 7 as I just had deleted the Partition for it. So when I hit enter on 7 it goes no-where.

Please help me gain access to my old OS and data.

I am extremely upset at my stupidity. Even though the program BCD clearly Identified the Win 7 OS as the second option.

Oh XP how I miss thee.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

Hi

I hope you leaved the Boot.ini file untouched. If that is the case, overwriting both MBR and PBR with XP compatible code will most probably fix your issue. You need to boot from XP installation CD, open "Recovery Console" and then issue the commands FixBoot and FixMBR.  Please refer the below guide for more details.

http://www.home-computer-support.org/windows-xp-recovery-console.html

Remember, you should only issue "FiXBoot" and "FixMBR" commands - nothing other is not necessary at this point.

windows-xp-recovery-console-fixboot-comm

In case if you receive a message similar to the one in below example, don't proceed. Instead report the exact message with next reply.

windows-xp-recovery-console-fixmbr-comma

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 09 May 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#3 jorel53

jorel53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I ran the recovery console.

It asked which Windows installation you would like to log into.

I hit 1 on the keyboard. and then it asks me for an Administrator Password.

I tried the PW that I usually logged on with in XP it did not work.

Tried with the newly created 7 password did not work either.

#4 jorel53

jorel53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

SOLVED.

Thank you so much.

Hit enter and it accepted password.

Then ran Fixboot

and exit

It Worked. I love you guys, thank you so much.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Thank you for letting us know we were able to help you solve your problem.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users