Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Qestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

Im really sorry to ask such a stupid question i thought i heard somewere while reading a thread that it was better to have two sticks of 512 MB of ram as opposed to haveing one stick of one gig. Is this true? If so, Why?
Thanks for all of the help.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:01 AM

Supposedly...two 512MB modules operating independtly will pocess information faster that one 1GB module.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

Howdy luciusad2004,

Yes it true, however you need a motherboard which is "dual channel" capable - it should say in your MB handbook. Another of finding out is your memory slots will be coloured - where a slot is the same colour (say slot 1 and 3) those two will work in Dual Channel. In this case two 512MB chips running dual channel will be quicker than one chip of 1024MB.

Hope that helps... :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:29 AM

Simple answer ... have one stick go bad, and you've still one stick that works.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:33 AM

Yes it true, however you need a motherboard which is "dual channel" capable - it should say in your MB handbook. Another of finding out is your memory slots will be coloured - where a slot is the same colour (say slot 1 and 3) those two will work in Dual Channel. In this case two 512MB chips running dual channel will be quicker than one chip of 1024MB.

The coloring of the RAM slots isn't something to go by, motherboard manufacturers don't always color code them correctly. You must look in the manual.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

Ok guys. thanks for confirming that for me. :D

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

0 user(s) are reading this topic