Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Wireless Card Failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 idlesn0w

idlesn0w

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:35 AM

I'm currently using a Windows 7 HP Pavilion DV6TQE with a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 card. I've recently encountered a problem where every 2-15 minutes, I will suddenly lose internet connection. Interestingly enough, my wireless card will still receive packets, but simply refuses to send any. My computer still shows that it's connected to my router, but any attempt to access a webpage results in it just loading for all eternity. Oddly enough, the only solution that I've found is to disconnect and reconnect to any network (even the same one). This causes me to regain connection, only to repeat the problem again in a few more minutes. I've reinstalled the drivers several times to no avail. Additionally, whenever I boot into Ubuntu (dual-boot), I have perfect connection, and have never encountered a problem, leading me to believe that this is not a hardware issue. If anybody has any advice, I would be greatly appreciative.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

Hi -

Please run this app so I can get a look at your network signal & other networking info -

http://www.sysnative.com/apps/netsh_lan_wlan_04-24-09__jcgriff2__.exe

2 Notepads will open. Please attach them to your next post.

Does the same problem exist in Safemode w/ Networking with wifi?

Have you tried Ethernet cable connection - so wifi can definitely be ruled in or out.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 idlesn0w

idlesn0w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

Thank you for your reply! I have attached the output of that program like you asked. I have not tried safemode yet, but I am certain that it is a wifi-specific issue, as I have never had any problems when I hook it up to ethernet.

Attached Files

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:47 AM

Hi -

Thank you for the files.

Your wifi signal is very strong - 95% - 99%, so that can be ruled out.

See if a driver update helps.

Create a system restore point first -
START | type create into the start search box | select "create a restore point"

Download the x64 version directly from Intel - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23770&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%20*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications

What anti-virus/ 3rd party firewall do you have installed?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 10 May 2014 - 02:48 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#5 idlesn0w

idlesn0w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

It's been a few days and it seems to be fixed! Given it has gone away for extended periods of time before, only to return. I guess only time will tell. Let's hope it stays fixed! Thank you for your help!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Laptop wireless hardware can fail in strange and mysterious ways, purely to baffle its users !

I have tried to see if this laptop has a discreet - ie plug-in - wireless card or if it is built into the mobo without success. If it is a discrete unit it would be probably worth your while to make sure that it is plugged securely into the mobo and secured if it has a securing screw.

If the wi-fi is built into the mobo, then if it fails again it would probably be simpler and cheaper to use a USB wireless dongle than to try and fix it. These devices are not expensive, and, if you are willing to put up with the inconvenience of something sticking out of the side of your laptop, work very well.

Working in one direction but not the other is a fairly common failure mode.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users